What's new

Cofedertae & Early 1800 Buttons

kshimes1

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
49
Reaction score
179
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confederate & Early 1800 Buttons

Hunting With my At Pro. Had some good luck last couple of weekends. I cant find any info on the 2 navy buttons.
 

Attachments

  • 20151011_232834.webp
    20151011_232834.webp
    142.1 KB · Views: 367
  • 20151012_181423.webp
    20151012_181423.webp
    593 KB · Views: 508
  • 20151206_203522.webp
    20151206_203522.webp
    638.2 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 78
Wow....just wow! Those are some gorgeous military buttons. Id be sleeping at that site
 
Thanks Parsonwalker! I think these button are awesome. But to be honest i was more excited to find that large cent. I been detecting over 20 yrs. and i never found these types buttons before. When i found the script I button i told a friend that was with me and said i found a button with some sort of F on it. He was freaking out about it. I almost gave it to him. I found the other 3 that same day same area. I mainly detect the beaches and parks until recently. We going back this weekend so hopefully i'll have more to show.

Dude, I can't WAIT to see the "more." It blows my mind, I mean seriously, that none of your buttons are crushed or corroded. They're ALL pristine. And what a MIX. I mean, 1700s (I guess) to 1900s! What's the STORY dude?! Not asking you to give anything away, but was this a training area over a couple of centuries? A uniform manufacturing plant? Battlefield? Campsite? Island? Plantation? Give us SOMETHIN' here man, we're drooling. And 2 more questions: (1) How much cleaning did you do? Or did they pop out pretty much like this? (2) What kind of soil was this?? Sand? Clay? Water? Certainly not swamp or forest I assume . . .
 
Sorry, just saw page 2. Outdoor nailed that. You did fine because you didn't OVER clean them. About the only button I DON'T attempt to clean at least a little are the GS Eagles. I like the green, and there's nothing to gain by cleaning. They just look brown, or worse . . . purple. Your rare buttons came out GORGEOUS.
 
Thanks a lot all. The area is not to far from a couple of forts. My friend went back today and found 4 more today. The soil is a nice sandy soil so preserving relics nicely. Yeah i miss that green look on that button. Yall making me more excited about these finds than when i found them.
 
I checked out How to clean Buttons. Good Info Thanks OutdoorAdv
 
Thanks Im hunting Georgia & South Carolina Area

YOU THE MAN!
Awesome Buttons ..
If I can ever get out of the ATL I'm Savannah or NE US Bound at this point ill give my Right Nut for a SC or GA Button.
Sorry Mods but I want one BAD! & A nice LC would make my detecting year.
 
Holy cow! What a variety a killer buttons! I would go crazy to find one of those. Some of the better I've seen on here, congrats.
 
Thanks alot! Here is the back of Ga State Seal Button. I believe its a 2 piece.
 

Attachments

  • 20151212_153814-1.webp
    20151212_153814-1.webp
    196.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 20151101_144711-1.webp
    20151101_144711-1.webp
    405.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20151011_232441-1.webp
    20151011_232441-1.webp
    255.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Need to see backmark pictures of the buttons... Any maker's marks?
 
That Georgia is a stunner, amazing condition. That site is hiding incredible history.
 
Amazzzzinnngggg hunt you had and cleaning did not hurt them at all.
 
According to the book "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" the backmark on the Georgia button saying Horstmann Bros & Allien *N.Y.* dates strictly from 1865 to 1876. The design on Georgia State Seal buttons was changed shortly after the war ended, to make it look a bit different from what was worn by Georgia Confederate soldiers. (Note the smaller base below the main base which the columns stand on.) It is shown in the Albert button-book as one of the GA-15 varieties.
 
20151212_153814-1.webp20151213_193301-1.webp20151213_193612-1.webp

Left to right. Ga, Script I, and SC
 
Last edited:
Not much Today like i was hoping. Did get a couple of nice ones


20151213_183923-1.webp20151213_132654-1.webp
 
Thanks! Waiting on the bulldozer to do the rest of the site. They didnt do much during the week. It is an amazing site.
 
The condition of the buttons are great, congrats on the recoveries and good luck on the future hunts!
 
Thank you
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom