What's new

Cofedertae & Early 1800 Buttons

kshimes1

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
49
Reaction score
179
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confederate & Early 1800 Buttons

Hunting With my At Pro. Had some good luck last couple of weekends. I cant find any info on the 2 navy buttons.
 

Attachments

  • 20151011_232834.webp
    20151011_232834.webp
    142.1 KB · Views: 367
  • 20151012_181423.webp
    20151012_181423.webp
    593 KB · Views: 508
  • 20151206_203522.webp
    20151206_203522.webp
    638.2 KB · Views: 497
Upvote 78
Those buttons are in crazy shape for being dug
 
Yes they are. This spot has some great sandy soil mixed with some shell.
 
Incredible finds!
 
All the junk dug to get 2 buttons Sunday
 

Attachments

  • 1450220177924.webp
    1450220177924.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 127
Fantastic collection of keepers! The LC looks in good shape. :occasion14:
 
Since you responded to my post about the time-period of your Georgia State Seal button's backmark by posting a photo of the backs of the Old-English ("Script") I button and South Carolina State Seal button, I assume you want time-period info for those two backmarks. Both of them were manufactured in England for sale to the Confederacy, and shipped over here through the yankee naval blockade on a Blockade-Runner.

"HT&B Manchester" is the firm of Hammond, Turner, & Bates -- a button-manufacturing company whose office was in Manchester and factory was located in Birmingham England.

"S. Isaacs Campbell & Co / 71 Jermyn St. London" was a major supplier of military equipment to the Confederacy.

The above information is from the book "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by William F. McGuinn & Bruce Bazelon. It is the absolute best book for time-dating the buttons we dig by the backmark. It covers backmarks from late-1700s through the modern era. Cost is about $25 to $29, and well worth the money.
 
Good Info. Going to order that book soon. Thank you
 
Friend of mine found 6 war of 1812 buttons at the same site. Going back this weekend. i know there is something awesome there. Maybe my first gold coin.

Invite a NC brother down to do some hunting!!! My buddy and I would give our other buddies right testicle for an opportunity to find any one of those buttons. Congratulations on a very beautiful assortment of buttons.
 
Went back to site yesterday. Very disappointed the bulldozers did not do anything during the week. Try again next weekend.
 
Beautiful buttons. Too good to be true.
 
The cannon and "A" are some of the best well preserved buttons I have seen posted on Tnet. Congrats!!
 
Been following your thread for a while, congrats on the incredible condition of your 1812 digs. Its very rare to see those copper flat buttons in such great shape. Outstanding saves and keep us posted!
 
I went to check on my spot. I guess the bulldozer does not run during the holidays. I decided to see if i missed anything and found a 1908 IH and a musket ball

20160102_201315-1.webp
 
Last edited:
Went back to check on site and they started digging again. All i found was a 1919 merc and and roundball
 
Those are really nice, Ann Arbor MI I wont see stuff like that.Wow got to be a lot more good luck keep posting
 
Very nice finds! The buttons are killer. Congrats, and I look forward to your next installment!
 
This guy cracks me up with his nonchelant humbleness on these buttons. Every one of them is stunning!!! What an amazing site you have.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom