Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very unusual coffin handle of bronze. Seems Masonic or Odd Fellows but somethings wrong. Pythagoras said "Offer not your right hand easily to everyone". This is the hand shake of the Gnostic. But check this out these are left hands not right hands. I cannot find another example anywhere but right hands represent strength and left hands weakness and judgement. did the foundry blow it or is there a reason for this symbolism?

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
Qball

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pretty sure this is for a coffin, it fits the hand perfectly, thought it was a finial at first then the light came on.

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont understand how this is related to a coffin
looks more like a finiel of some kind
any screw hole, size?
game piece, chess piece.
I looks small, dont get the coffin connection
imo
brady

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
need more pics
the ball on the end may fit into holes in a chess board, making this thing a rook / castle
Brady

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Qball

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_2541.jpg

So here is a more size accurate image. There is a hole on the end opposite the end with the ball that may have had another ball inserted. I first thought that this was a finial but it is the right size for a handle. this dates no earlier than 1855 and no later than 1900 so it is not boy scout. I work restoring dilapidated grave sites for our historic rural cemetery and use a detector sometimes to find lost bits and pieces to use in my restorations. this turned up while looking for metal railing bits but the bits I was looking for were not this style. When I get the research done on this thing it will probably go to the local museum.What ever it is the reversed symbol is a conundrum.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Qball, good on you for restoring dilapidated grave sites at your historic rural cemetery + donating artifacts to the local museum:occasion14: Hope you get a positive ID, as it will draw more interest.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is coffin-related, one book you might find it in is “Remember Man Thou Art Dust: Coffin Hardware in Nineteenth Century America” by Megan E. Springate. I requested via interlibrary loan a few years ago when researching my great-great grandmother's grave that had been robbed. On TreasureNet see "Caplifter from my great-great-grandmother’s coffin". Even if your artifact isn't in the book, it may help you ID others.

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Deeds in restoring the Old cemeteries. I also hope that you can get a true ID on this piece.

Upvote 0

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very unusual coffin handle of bronze. Seems Masonic or Odd Fellows but somethings wrong. Pythagoras said "Offer not your right hand easily to everyone". This is the hand shake of the Gnostic. But check this out these are left hands not right hands. I cannot find another example anywhere but right hands represent strength and left hands weakness and judgement. did the foundry blow it or is there a reason for this symbolism?
The left hand is closest to the heart, a left hand shake is a token between fraternal brothers

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Years ago I found a curtain tie-back of 'hands shaking' that looked very similar to this... now where did I put that piece? :dontknow:

Dave

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I found a curtain tie-back of 'hands shaking' that looked very similar to this... now where did I put that piece? :dontknow:

Dave

Dave,

"now where did I put that piece?:dontknow:" Murphy's Law: You'll find it someday when you least expect to.

Seriously though, I'll Google curtain tie-back of hands shaking and see what pops up.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Qball, if you're unable to find the artifact in the book I mentioned above, what ages are the burials in the cemetery? Knowing the ages can help zero in on the type/style of coffin hardware used at the time. From that hopefully you'll be able to confirm it was originally part of a coffin - or conclude it wasn't. Sometimes eliminating possible IDs is helpful.

Are there any Masonic or other organization symbols on the tombstones? Was there a church previously associated with the cemetery? Any surviving records may reveal if someone interred was a member of an organization.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Qball

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am now leaning back towards this item being a finial and not a handle. This was found in the Masonic corner of the cemetery but the reversed imagery was confusing. The suggestion that the left hand is closest to the heart the symbolism of which dates to at least the Romans seems the most plausible explanation. Also if one looks at the object in the vertical orientation the hand, reaching down from heaven to Shepard the loved one into the kingdom of God is consistent with other right handed motif. Your suggestions have been most helpful in deciphering this enigma. Thank You very much for the reference material going forward, Q

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread