coil bolt

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
Upvote 0
I never had any problems using one. You can always pick up a nylon bolt at almost any hardware store for under a buck.

There is a reason why the original bolt was made of nylon.....it is non metallic. Air test the stainless bolt with your detector. I'm willing to bet the detector will detect that bolt. Is that a good idea to put it then anywhere near your coil?

A coil is made to detect metal....and putting metal in the coils field will affect it. It will distort the coils electronic field. Putting a stainless bolt in place of the nylon bolt is like making a coil cover out of steel. It is just not a good idea.

Do not put a stainless bolt to hold the coil to the shaft unless you want to NOT find things.

The engineers who designed the detector know what they are doing and specified a nylon bolt. Nylon bolts are not all that expensive so carry a few spares with you.

richbat said:
was out yesterday and the nylon bolt broke on my coil of my bandido 2 u/max.so i replaced it with a stainless steel bolt with rubber washers,will this have any affect on the machine? i'm thinking it shouldn't, being that the bolt is stationary,any opinions?

No, regardless of what you might hear ...
they will not...
Because these machines are "Motion activated detectors" meaning that the item must be moving
within the coil matrix.

I currently have one on my DFX to hold a larger coil,
I have also used them on my older Tesoros for years,
and I believe that Tesoro if not now, used to ship machines with a metal threaded bold to hold the
coil. I have tons of stuff to show what my machine can find with a metal bolt...

I agree with torrero. A few years ago I had to replace my bolt. I must have had a duh moment, because I put a steel bolt and washers on it. After a few weeks I realized what I had done but it had had no effect on my finds at all.

they make them come from the factory with non metal bolts for a reason -- stop & think about it .

this is what i kind of figured,if the object is moving near the coil, then yes it would have an affect,but since this bolt is in a stationed position not moving within coil area then how could it possibly affect the machine if it's not moving? yes the coil can detect metal from the top,but the main working area is the bottom of the coil,correct?

There was a time when almost all detectors came with metal bolts holding the coil on. It has no effect, However, bolting two pieces of plastic together with a metal bolt is not a good idea. The bolt will not give and leads to broken pieces of plastic! :wink:

Looks to me like a metal bolt would effect the all metal pin point mode. Like using a compas with a helmet on.

I just personally saw plastic bolts, and nuts at our lowes, friday.

It would be worth the $.80 for a nylon bolt to avoid the civil war breaking out over the question :laughing7:

anytime theres a joint -- things "flex" if the pressure is too much somethings gotta "give" --- stop and think --the engineers figgered out that a nylon bolt (cheap) breaks instead of costly $$$ detector shaft ---with a metal bolt in place instead of the "proper" nylon bolt --the detectors shaft will break since the metal bolt is harder than the shaft material. :'( ----their built that way for a reason.

I broke mine by over tightening the day i got my detector, they sell them at home depot too, very cheap. They come in 2 packs so you will have a spare as well.

There's a reason why they used a nylon bolt. Your detector will pick a metal bolt and will balance it out. This means that you don't notice anything wrong, but you are loosing a little dept! Think about it!

poorhunter78 said:
I just personally saw plastic bolts, and nuts at our lowes, Friday.

I did get some plastic or nylon bolts for my DFX but the coil was so heavy that if I tightened
the plastic bolt enough to hold the coil steady then the threads on the plastic stripped.
All within a few seconds, I mounted this in the parking lot of LOWES and it stripped...
repeatedly.... so I went back in and got a metal one...
If your afraid of breaking your plastic piece on your machine make sure there are rubber washers
on both sides of clevis... (where the pole and coil connect)
Personally I do advocate for the use of plastic, if at all possible, but there may be times and places
where this is not the case, and the question was weather it would affect your hunting, and my opinion
is no... and that's my 2-cents worth...

I run a handful of Tesoros. Several came with the stainless bolt and the newer use nylon. I've switched poles and coils back and forth thru them all and I can say I've NEVER been able to tell the slightest difference in performance. Certainly nothing enough to be noticeable in the field. I do remember somewhere that I've read that it should be a STAINLESS bolt, not normal iron. If one is replacing a stainless bolt with nylon, I suggest using a diameter or two larger for the extra strength.
HH
luvsdux

luvsdux,i tried the stainless out this afternoon on the coil and if there is any difference it is so minimal that you do not even notice it,as a matter of fact found quite a bit of clad and a small charm over at the tot lot next door while using it with the stainless bolt,i'm going to home depot tomorrow just to give myself some peace of mind and gonna pick up some nylon bolts,but like i said if there is any difference it's very minimal and not worth mentioning,so my conclusion on whether to use nylon or stainless is use whatever you think will work best for you,but i think mostly it's all physcological [sp] to the persons mind set and beliefs.

GibH said:
It would be worth the $.80 for a nylon bolt to avoid the civil war breaking out over the question :laughing7:

naaaa, lets keep it going! It has ZERO effect on any function of the detector. Science ;D

No it won't affect performance, HOWEVER, replace it with a plastic one as this gives protection to your coil from overtightening. It is cheaper to replace the bolt if it breaks or strips the thread than a coil because you have overtightened the metal bolt. Yes, it can happen..... The old early Garret Deepseekers and Groundhogs came out with brass bolts.

The Cat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back