COIL COVER--THE FACTS

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
COIL COVER--THE FACTS

I realize everyone has their opinion, but lets just answer 3 questions here and then come back later to draw our own conclusion from the facts!
1-How long have you been using a metal detector?

2-How many coils have you broken?

3-Do you use a coil cover on all of your detectors?
Please come back and check the facts later, thank you.

Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: COIL COVER--THE FACTS

I feel that if you have to scrub your coil on the ground all the time, then you either need a bigger coil or a deeper seeking machine. I have a Fisher 1266-X, That I bought when they first came out, still have the original coil, still not using the coil cover that came with it and I use it at construction sites all the time. It is all beat to dickens, the stand has broken off, I duct taped over the speaker (to keep dust out), I use headphones all the time, and the coil is all scratched up, BUT, there are no holes or wear through on the bottom of the coil. Now, the 11" pro coil that I bought for my Minelab Explorer XS II, came with its own crack in the bottom of the coil epoxy (which I have re-glued) I use a cover on that :headbang: In the conclusion: If you're a scrubber, use a cover or not........NGE

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coil bottoms wear if the old scrubbing technique is used or reverse discrimination. A little fraction further away from the ground makes no difference, in fact coil covers were specifically made to place the windings further away. Seem to remember that even Garrett would supply this kind of cover to reduce back reading from the ground.

Most of the broken coils I seen all stem from the same error which is checking out those very thin rock pools at the beach and slipping. The coil jams for a second and off come the coil lugs.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Does the coil cover weaken the signal any at all? Any one ever air test to see?

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Not that your notice Bryan! But most detectors will pick up much deeper than you usually need. If you are reaching to the extreme limit of your detector, it's time to trade up!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn said:
Not that your notice Bryan! But most detectors will pick up much deeper than you usually need. If you are reaching to the extreme limit of your detector, it's time to trade up!

We are all reaching to the extreme limit of our detectors ALL the time. Anyone who isn't has never detected a plowed field before! That doesn't mean it's time to trade up. It means that you must know your machine well enough to operate at the limit that it will go.

-Buck

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

Been detecting since '96.

I started using the coil covers when I noticed the amount of wear I was getting from working the surf and rocks at the beach.

Stopped using a coil cover about a week later when I noticed all the false signals i'd get because of the amount of wet sand that gets under the coil cover.

then .... i came HERE, to TNet... and found gravedigger max's epoxy method. (Marine epoxy coated around the bottom and sides of the coil). No more falsing problems, no more wear on the coil... and if i get scratches and gouges... just a simple touch up for it to look like new

so... does that mean that I do use a coil cover?
steve

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Buckle boy: Look at it this way. My detector will reach about 2'. I have dug targets at app. 2' maybe 3 times and 1 target at 1' once in ten years! All my other finds are closer to 6" so why scrape up the coil or bump the coil trying to get an extra inch of dept? I swing my coil app. 1" above the ground. I really don't think I am missing anything! When I work a plowed field I find most targets are on or near the surface. I once worked a plowed field across the stream from Antietam and found about 40 Bullets From balls to hollow 3 rings. The three Rangers on the other side of the stream did not look happy!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Frankn, were you legally hunting private property that the rangers could do nothing about, except glare at ya? If that was the situation, then as I was getting done hunting for the day, I would've waved good-bye and said, " have a nice day"........NGE

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey NGE,

It used to be that simple, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut in the last six or seven years, the courts have ruled in favor of ARPA (Archaeological Resources Protection Act) 1979 being applied to finds on private property.

Used to be, if you found an Indian Pot in your back yard, you could thumb your nose at the Archies. Not any more.

Best-Mike

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn said:
Buckle boy: Look at it this way. My detector will reach about 2'. I have dug targets at app. 2' maybe 3 times and 1 target at 1' once in ten years! All my other finds are closer to 6" so why scrape up the coil or bump the coil trying to get an extra inch of dept? I swing my coil app. 1" above the ground. I really don't think I am missing anything! When I work a plowed field I find most targets are on or near the surface. I once worked a plowed field across the stream from Antietam and found about 40 Bullets From balls to hollow 3 rings. The three Rangers on the other side of the stream did not look happy!

If your detector regularly gets targets that are 2 feet deep, I think I'd like to own one--and probably everyone else in the US would too!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I cracked coil on one that did not have a coil cover when it fell over......

Question, if you have a coil cover, how can you tell how many times it has been protected from possible damage? You can't. ;D

Fact, coils with no scratches, nicks or cracks sell faster and for higher dollars then coils that look like they were dragged on the ground... I personally will not buy a used coil that has heavy wear marks..... :icon_thumright:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

BuckleBoy said:
Frankn said:

If your detector regularly gets targets that are 2 feet deep, I think I'd like to own one--and probably everyone else in the US would too!

I see you read that the same way I did. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Buckle boy you missread! I stated that I hit 2 targets in 10 years, not regularly. The two targets were a 1937 license tag and a navy style anchor. The target at app. 12" was a 200 year old ax head. All very large targets hence the dept. Granted,I have custom tuned jest about all the settings in my detectors computer, but then consider it is 10 years old. My PI detector will also reach 2'. If you want to test yours try picking up your buried power lines, they have to be 2' deep.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

Frankn said:
My PI detector will also reach 2'. If you want to test yours try picking up your buried power lines, they have to be 2' deep.

Better yet - just stand a few feet from your car and swing your loop at it. You should get two or three feet easy.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn said:
Buckle boy you missread! I stated that I hit 2 targets in 10 years, not regularly. The two targets were a 1937 license tag and a navy style anchor. The target at app. 12" was a 200 year old ax head. All very large targets hence the dept. Granted,I have custom tuned jest about all the settings in my detectors computer, but then consider it is 10 years old. My PI detector will also reach 2'. If you want to test yours try picking up your buried power lines, they have to be 2' deep.

It sounds like you're complaining that your detector will get a signal over a deep item. You're saying that we don't have to worry about depth because most of your finds were shallow. If you used a different detector, you might find that to be false.

I would MUCH rather have a detector that goes deep and I dig my a$$ off than one where I never know what I'd missed! :D

When most detectors only get 6-8 inches of depth on small targets, you betcha every half an inch, every quarter of an inch counts.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Let me try one more time to explain to you Buckle boy.
-- I worked hard adjesting my XLT to reach 24". I like it that way!
-- I scan at app. 1" above the ground so I loose 1" out of 24".
-- To me this is the same difference as trying to raise sea level by pissing in the ocean! i.e. It doesn't matter!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn said:
-- To me this is the same difference as trying to raise sea level by pissing in the ocean! i.e. It doesn't matter!

Care to share your XLT settings for two feet of consistent depth with that machine?

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

BuckleBoy said:
Frankn said:

Care to share your XLT settings for two feet of consistent depth with that machine?

Being an XLT user, I would be very inerested in your settings also, if you care to share.

Thanks,

Ray S ECenFL

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

have covers on my coils since I Bought the detector in '99

Wore out too many covers to count.

Glad I didn't have to buy that many coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread