What's new

COIL COVERS???

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
2,223
Reaction score
783
Golden Thread
0
Location
SOMEWHERE
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys just wondering on what people thought about coil covers i want to get one but not sure if it inhibits the coil at all if anyone knows please share thanks
 
It doesnt affect performance. It does , however keep you from wearing that a epoxy out on the bottom of your coil. That is were the winding lives. Protect it!
 
Coil covers are a good idea. Especially if you hunt rocky ground. They don't inhibit your depth at all.

My only advice is to check it frequently, especially in sandy areas, sand and dirt tend to work their way into the cracks sometimes.

Overall, a good idea to get one.
 
Use your coil cover! It does NOT affect the depth or operation at all! It will save your coil and keep your resale value high!
 

Attachments

  • vvv 001.webp
    vvv 001.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 253
thanks for the feedback guys i was on the fence about it just because i never hear anything bout them but now i know really appreciate it happy hunting
 
I use them - mainly because I always have (??) And, as Terry shows, the fear of chipping the epoxy is the primary reason.

I also remove them and rinse them out at least annually.
 
The only reason i use them is for ..... when i want to sell my detector the coil still looks nice.... so i sell it faster and could be get more cash for the detector..when i do sell it...
 
thanks for the heads up guys very informative
 
If your using a garret the coil covers fit very tight and break easily taking them off so get some sand paper and sand the coil cover untill it fits better so you dont break it when you need to take it off to clean will save you from buying another 1 like i did lol ;-)
 
nice one lol i will keep that in mind thanks
 
There are three reasons to use a coil cover: to collect dirt, to add weight, and to keep your coil in yummy brand new pristine condition. That's it. That's the long and short of it. That's the whole nine yards. That's the whole kit and kaboodle. That's all she wrote. Coil covers are good for the rock bangers too. You need a coil cover when you go out and bang rocks with your coil, all willy nilly and such.
 
Last edited:
Some detectors (Garrett 2500) do seem to suffer much more from soil or black sand entering the cracks round the cover. In this case you could be better saving a little weight and painting on a protective coating instead.

Cover or not I always liked to get a car innertube and cut a rubber ring out of it and stretch it round the coil to prevent chipping. Coil covers are no longer cheap so you may as well protect them as well. Plus some detectors, especially P.I.'s, are not designed for covers and the windings are just sunk into a resin like material and this just doesn't seem to wear out even over many years but they can still suffer chipping if a sharp rock is hit.
 
hand print-2_edited-3.webpOK, here's the truth,"They are a pain in the as s!!" They collect dirt and moisture and through off your readings. You don't need them UNLESS you are the type that drags his valuable coil along on the ground or rocks etc. I don't use coil covers and my detectors are 10 years old and still using the same coils. I hold my detector coil app. one inch above the ground when I scan. I have found about everything you can find with a detector, so I don't miss the 1". Why handicap yourself with something extra you don't need.
 
I think in some cases you can do more damage trying to take them off to clean them. Be carefully doing so.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom