What's new

Another depth question...................

Phil

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2012
Messages
294
Reaction score
621
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this topic has been beaten to death, and everyone typically replies with................"No detector will ever find something that deep other than maybe a 2-box". Yet, nobody ever provides a rough guide about the realistic depth a metal detector will find gold. For example...................

"A Minelab XYZ with the 11" coil will find a 400 ounce gold bar at ... inches deep"

Or

"A Minelab XYZ with the 11" coil will find a 10 ounce gold bar at .... inches deep"

Or

"A Minelab XYZ with the 11" coil will find a 2 gram nugget at .... inches deep"


I'm about to buy the Minelab Manticore, but want to make sure my expectations are realistic. Can anyone provide a general idea?
 
The depth capabilities of the detector will correspond to the type of terrain...where you are detecting...in light terrain, the reach of the Manticore detector can reach 35-40 cm.. Max /14-16"/ on a 3.5 gram gold coin.
 
1) What are you looking for? A gold nugget; gold ring; gold coin; cache of gold bars?
2) what are the soil conditions? Saltwater beach; mineralized desert soils; your backyard?
3) Pulse Induction or Multi-Frequency?
4) Coil size
 
1) What are you looking for? A gold nugget; gold ring; gold coin; cache of gold bars?
2) what are the soil conditions? Saltwater beach; mineralized desert soils; your backyard?
3) Pulse Induction or Multi-Frequency?
4) Coil size

Hi Terry!

1) Nothing in particular. Just wanting to get a realistic idea of a detectors capabilities.

2) Mineralized desert.

3) As for question 3 and 4, I am about to buy my first quality detector, which will be a Minelab. Looked at the GPX or GPZ, but I read a really negative review about those detectors from my wife that said she will get half of the detector in the divorce if I spend that much money on another toy. LOL

So, I am looking at the best mid-range detector Minelab makes, which I've narrowed down to the Manticore with the 11" coil.
Although I am open to suggestions.
 
Depth on the detector varies. The parks and curbsides in our area are so noisy that I refuse to dig under 8 or 10". But I can hear things below that. However, at our farm where it's nothing but top soil and completely silent ground, I've been able to dig faint signals down over 16 even 20" deep with my cheap Bounty Hunter to find stuff. So no real answer here, but it just depends where you're digging.
 
Hi Terry!

1) Nothing in particular. Just wanting to get a realistic idea of a detectors capabilities.

2) Mineralized desert.

3) As for question 3 and 4, I am about to buy my first quality detector, which will be a Minelab. Looked at the GPX or GPZ, but I read a really negative review about those detectors from my wife that said she will get half of the detector in the divorce if I spend that much money on another toy. LOL

So, I am looking at the best mid-range detector Minelab makes, which I've narrowed down to the Manticore with the 11" coil.
Although I am open to suggestions.
I know this topic has been beaten to death, and everyone typically replies with................"No detector will ever find something that deep other than maybe a 2-box". Yet, nobody ever provides a rough guide about the realistic depth a metal detector will find gold. For example...................

"A Minelab XYZ with the 11" coil will find a 400 ounce gold bar at ... inches deep"

Or

"A Minelab XYZ with the 11" coil will find a 10 ounce gold bar at .... inches deep"

Or

"A Minelab XYZ with the 11" coil will find a 2 gram nugget at .... inches deep"


I'm about to buy the Minelab Manticore, but want to make sure my expectations are realistic. Can anyone provide a general idea?
Looking at your first post and looking at your reply (mixed up the order)
Your answer to Terry for #1 was realistic, though the original question wasn't really for the first 2 parts.
Your #2 answer gives the reader an idea of where you are going to detect-dry to the very dry.
The #3 part of the divorce if you dare buy is realistic in you have a history without even knowing the history.
The fact that you have settled down to the realistic possibility of purchasing the Manticore.

You almost sound like a developer proposing a high-rise building in a historical downtown small city where all the buildings are 6 floors or under. ) GPX vs Manticore detectors.

You want to build a 40 story building (meanwhile you have the realistic project plans for a 22 story building all together) The city says no way! You say 30 stories-reply NO WAY!
22 story with a green space lot? OK PASSED! OBW you get the your name on the green space and the key to the city. :laughing7: (Well played)

Seriously though you have settled on a top self detector-though what has this detector really done in your area? It might preform great or poorly. This is where you have to research its capabilities in the desert.
 
The realistic depth a detector will "find" gold is about as deep as it will find tinfoil.

I've no experience with ten ounce or heavier bars under a detector coil. Nor Minelabs. But would suspect cubit depth.
Given varieties of far flung soils /stratas/compositions of varied mineral particles and moisture levels.
25% can be an average moisture level for 90 days on one site and the next site be a high water table of high iron content with water seeping into a two inch deep plug hole.
The questions between the two sites far different. The ability to decipher even more. IRON is here!

E,M.I involved? A site people used for thousands of years has a power generating dam today with an impressive array of overhead power lines that made me feel my detector was upside down. By the time I was detecting anything below ground again I wasn't very worried about missing ten ounce bars at any distance of depth.
( So if you ever hear I'm out burying 100 oz. bars where you can find them with a metal detector; start there. But still expect bars to be under boulders, trees, and concrete ect..)

You might consult the manufacturer.
No one else is likely to warranty claims ; given the variables involved.
 
Hi Terry!

1) Nothing in particular. Just wanting to get a realistic idea of a detectors capabilities.

2) Mineralized desert.

3) As for question 3 and 4, I am about to buy my first quality detector, which will be a Minelab. Looked at the GPX or GPZ, but I read a really negative review about those detectors from my wife that said she will get half of the detector in the divorce if I spend that much money on another toy. LOL

So, I am looking at the best mid-range detector Minelab makes, which I've narrowed down to the Manticore with the 11" coil.
Although I am open to suggestions.
Look for a used GPx 5000 https://www.metaldetectingworld.com/408-1-minelabgpx5000.html#google_vignette
 
The Manticore is an excellent detector, but the bottom line is that circumstances where you hunt will dictate the capabilities of that detector, and they may change from yard to yard or yard to park etc. Wet soil will bring a deeper signal than dry. Loose dirt or fine dirt will bring a better signal than clay and so on.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom