What's new

Coil Size For Lake Hunting

CoilFisher

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2011
Messages
977
Reaction score
299
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What size coil would you go for hunting in 2 to 3 feet of water in a lake 8 inch or 10.5?
 
That all depends. Personally I prefer a smaller coil if the shore is littered with lead and other trash. It forces me to slow down, and really separate the targets. A smaller coil is nice to work around pilings and other structures where the large coils has difficulty maneuvering around.
 
Either one would work, but the real question is what is the bottom composed of. Targets in sand will work there way down by vibration of the water where targets in mud are only covered by sediment. The recovery tool is the question mark. Frank
 
They both will work good......Matt
 
Thx on the replies.

I dont really see how 2.5" makes much difference, but I imagine a 10.5" would be more suited to actually diving. As you would want to cover area that has little trash reached by going down with a tank.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom