Coil voltage question

Your talking a mute point! The coil transmits out an RF signal which is measured in watts. This signal is regulated by the FCC. Frank

Your talking a mute point! The coil transmits out an RF signal which is measured in watts. This signal is regulated by the FCC. Frank

Ok would we all have better detectors if it wasn't regulated by the FCC? It's one of those questions that has popped up in the no understand this world of electronics.

The word is moot, not mute. Voltage is part of the watts equation. The FCC rules have no bearing on detector power transmission. Yes, if you increase the power to the coil, you increase the depth of detection, but only to a certain point (which has been reached long ago). The problem is that when you put too much signal power into the ground, you get so much background noise that you begin losing depth until it's useless.

The word is moot, not mute. Voltage is part of the watts equation. The FCC rules have no bearing on detector power transmission. Yes, if you increase the power to the coil, you increase the depth of detection, but only to a certain point (which has been reached long ago). The problem is that when you put too much signal power into the ground, you get so much background noise that you begin losing depth until it's useless.

Thank you Jason! I located several posts on this forum and Findmall after seeing Frank's post. Even though His answer was partially incorrect, he helped by causing me to change my search term from "coil voltage" to "coil wattage". I noted that there are several incorrect posts about the FCC regulating detector power which we know is not true.

I'm still chasing an answer to how deep the Treasuremaster with 3v. power can detect as compared to a V3i which according to Carl ( ex White's design engineer) applies 10v. of power to the coil, and with TX Boost 40v. I do realize the difference in price of course, but some users of the TM are saying 3" max. while others 6" or more.

Well, Jason got me on the word slip,"MOOT". The electric formula is voltage (E) times ampage (I) equals wattage (W). I worked in electronics for 32 years, but I try to keep it basic on TN so most can understand. In practice you control the voltage application and the resistance of the load (COIL WINDING) governs the load ( ampage draw). The voltage X ampage= wattage.
I agree with Jason's assumption that coil power application has reached it's limit.
My XLT has a computer that has fantastic access to the settings. I have gone thru every one of them when I got it and maxed it out. Even though it is over 15 years old, it is as good as anything out there. I think it's max depth is about 24" on large targets like a license plate and it can pinpoint EXACTLY. On the other hand I also have a Surfmaster PI. I think it is the 2nd generation with the pulse delay. It has found boat anchors at 4'. What you have to realize is it is not only the applied power that gives you depth but also the coil type, pulse generation process and pulse receiving filtering. There are a lot of factors that most don't even think about. On the 2 Box detectors, where most go down over 6', It is the coil separation that is a big factor to there 6+' range. Hay, just a few thoughts, Frank

015.JPG

Thanks to you both for giving some straight forward answers to what I considered a fairly simple question. I'm glad I came back here! Had not been for a while and when I asked the same ? on another frequented forum, the moderator blew me off and told me to read a book. (Couldn't believe it.) Anyway, as it turns out, I found that this same question had been answered by someone 5 years earlier on that very same forum.
Also, I have to blame Carl-NC (previously a White's engineer now employed by FTP) who made a interesting statement in his V3i Advanced Users Guide.
In Ch. 3 p.3 he says that normal V3 coil voltage is 10v., and when TX Boost is used coil voltage increases to 30v. for an increased depth of approx. 1". so why wouldn't anyone think that for a given set of conditions that: increase in voltage = increase in depth?

I guess a bigger question is for a VLF detector is: what is the common denominator for the power (signal strength) transmitted by the coil before any manipulation of the signal is performed?
Thus, ground matrix being the major variable could explain why some detectors do better in some soils than others!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back