Coils for the XLT

There's about 15 different coils available for the XLT but I think the 5.5 Bullseye is a top performer in trashier areas but my first choice would be a BigFoot.

Rocky , I've got the stock 9.5 I use 98% of the time . 5.5 for trashy areas as Tom pointed out . Also , incase someone wants to recover something with a BACKHOE I also have the 25 inch loop . Or should I say life preserver ..... LOL

The 25 is pretty cool . It very effectively turns inches into feet .:thumbsup:

I just purchased an XLT and would like to add a couple of coils. It comes with the stock coil, but what would be the best choice besides the stock? Is there one coil that every XLT owner should have? Thanks!

If you can find it, the Royal 800 (8" coil) is my "go to" coil; good ground coverage and better depth and stability than the 950 (at least in Oregon soils.) The Bullseye is also a great coil in trashy areas.

Thanks for the responses! I live in VA with very unstable ground. Is there a DD coil for the XLT?

The only DD available for the XLT is the 4x6 DD. It doesn't have a very good reputation on the 6.59 kHz machines. The 800 is a good coil, but really isn't an improvement over the 950. The 5.3 is a good compromise between depth and target separation. Of course, the 4x6 DD, while not getting a lot of depth, may still perform at least as well as the 5.3 in highly mineralized ground and will still have even better target separation.

The only DD available for the XLT is the 4x6 DD. It doesn't have a very good reputation on the 6.59 kHz machines. The 800 is a good coil, but really isn't an improvement over the 950. The 5.3 is a good compromise between depth and target separation. Of course, the 4x6 DD, while not getting a lot of depth, may still perform at least as well as the 5.3 in highly mineralized ground and will still have even better target separation.

I either had a bad 950 or the 800 was an improvement over the 950, because when I switched to the slightly smaller coil, my XLT calmed down and I gained depth. Perhaps it could also be a difference in soil types. There is a lot of iron in Oregon soils which cripples a lot of the most popular detectors. I have heard the same about the DD coil and have thus avoided it.

I either had a bad 950 or the 800 was an improvement over the 950, because when I switched to the slightly smaller coil, my XLT calmed down and I gained depth. Perhaps it could also be a difference in soil types. There is a lot of iron in Oregon soils which cripples a lot of the most popular detectors. I have heard the same about the DD coil and have thus avoided it.

When comparing two concentric coils, the smaller of the two will be less sensitive to interference and mineralization, that is true.
My personal experience with a series of White's 6.59 kHz detectors in the West Virginia/Virginia region is that the performance difference is not sufficient to justify putting the 950 on the shelf. I personally like the 800 coils, but feel the difference between the 950 and 5.3 is sufficient to justify the expense. If money is no object, I say get one of every coil available. That's what I do with all my detectors anyway. The corner of my room looks like a small forest of branchless trees! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back