Detector(s) used
Vision/V3, 1400DD, Super 12, D2, 5.3 Eclipse
I'm surprised .... I would of figured the hunting would of been good

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i hunted coin beach twice, once after a hurricane and once after a nor easter. didnt come up with anything either time. i think all of the beach replenishment projects down there have dumped a ton of sand over the good stuff. it would probably take some severe erosion to undo what the corp of engineers has already done. :-\ i would love to hear what others are finding though. :wink:

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Lancaster, Pa and Ocean View, De
Detector(s) used
Minelab Elite, Minelab GT, Teknetics T2, Fisher CZ 3D and Fisher 1236 X2
They had RT.1 closed for 2 days between Dewey Beach and Bethany Beach because of high water and the state closed the beach access points. This caused me to have to hunt Fenwick Isle and upper OC. Unfortunately had to return home Wed when roads were again open. 1 ring 1 bracelet (copper plating gone), lots coins from 60s and 70s. When the finds will be made on Coin Beach you will see the ribs of an old boat sticking out of the sand in the area of the Old Coast Guard Station-Museum north of the IR Inlet. If you see large chunks of black mud or tree roots scattered on the beach hunt that area hard as the shoreline had extended farther in old times.

JimDE

May 12, 2008
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Mentz, Thank you for the tips on coin beach. I have fished that beach since 1980 and have never seen the ribs nor any stumps but as a fisherman, just after a big storm was not the time to make the 100 mile run to the beach either. I would generally wait a week or more after a storm had past thru to go fishing again.

I will surely look from now on.

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
I went and didn't find much either, most interesting find was WWII ammo. I was a little surprised as I found the same stuff down in Bethany. I "heard" there was a gold coin found, someone told someone who told me........... I give it a 1/1000 chance of being true.

OP
OP
T

T Hunter

Oct 26, 2006
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
I dont believe that at all I have hunted coin beach many times and after the last northeast storm we had there really wasn't that much sand gone Ive seen it alot worse. I found 12 half Penny's one night and i was walking on marsh mat with really no sand on the beach about ten years ago ..Mark

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
XLT, Blisstool V3, Nokta fors, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My freind and I are going to hunt coin beach Sun. morning after Hanna if we can find it. Can any one tell me is the old coast guard station visible from RT1, and is their a road to pull off of RT1 to park thanks!

JimDE

May 12, 2008
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
Coin beach is the ocean front from Dewey Beach south to Indian River Inlet. The CGS is a complex run by the DE DNR (no beach access from that parking lot). There are several beach access parking lots along the strip

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
shoover17331 said:
My freind and I are going to hunt coin beach Sun. morning after Hanna if we can find it. Can any one tell me is the old coast guard station visible from RT1, and is their a road to pull off of RT1 to park thanks!

Please report back with your findings, even if you don't find anything. I have hunted that beach A LOT and haven't had much luck. I did find a shoe buckle, purportedly from the Faithful Steward, back in November last year; http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/Donny1994/Beachcombing/Nov04_0007-1.jpg

I plan to hit some other Delaware spots, maybe even OC both Saturday and Sunday. Good luck.

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks If I find anything I'll post my finds. were hitting O.C. sunday morning till the question ask come out. then were going to coin beach. I researched coin beach and I am totally confused about where exactly the one mile stretch is. Is it in front of the life saving station where bored coast guard personell found buckets of coin. Or is it one mile north of their or is it right at faithful steward fishing access point. thanks! and hope to run into you guys out their, not the best storm but a good reason to hit the beach.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
shoover17331 said:
thanks If I find anything I'll post my finds. were hitting O.C. sunday morning till the question ask come out. then were going to coin beach. I researched coin beach and I am totally confused about where exactly the one mile stretch is. Is it in front of the life saving station where bored coast guard personell found buckets of coin. Or is it one mile north of their or is it right at faithful steward fishing access point. thanks! and hope to run into you guys out their, not the best storm but a good reason to hit the beach.

its the stretch of beach directly north of the Indian River Inlet Bridge.

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you ! I appreciate you help. If I find one coin from the Faithfull Steward to add to my collection I will be verry happy! I will post my finds, Thanks again,

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
shoover17331 said:
thank you ! I appreciate you help. If I find one coin from the Faithfull Steward to add to my collection I will be verry happy! I will post my finds, Thanks again,

no problem, glad i could help. good luck and dont forget to let us know how it goes, good or bad. :)

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
shoover17331 said:

The 1st dune crossing north of the inlet is where the ship sank (about 12? telephone poles). There is a parking lot directly across the street (on the bayside) you can park for free. Then walk the dune crossing and decide if you want to hunt north or south of the wrecksite.

Good luck, maybe I will see you out there.

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks L-BO I hope you get to come out and if you do goodluck! Happy hunting to everyone.

shoover17331

Sep 5, 2008
Spring Grove,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI all, I'm back and sorry to disapoint you but I didn't find anything to get excited about. I had trouble with my XLT, it wasn't the detectors fault ,but me not really shure how to adjust it properly. I used the preset coin & beach program and the darn thing beeped irracticly. I am so glad I baught Bob Bailys book because otherwise I would have been lost. After about six hours I finaly got the XLT humming good , but by then high tide came in to flatten out the three foot ledge it had cut into the shore. I did see two half cents get dug up one of wich I missed by two feet. Oh well I had fun and I know my XLT alot better now and next trip I will have a bigger coil and then we'll see, maby it will be my turn! Take care and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread