SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad doesn't need to be cleaned, and I'd clean silver very gently.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Aquarium gravel. Tumble overnight with a little dish soap and water. Makes em look new.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question on the aquarium gravel // I use ordenary beach sand in my 3 lb tumbler --is the aquarium sand special // and worth buying ??? the stuff I use is for just de cruding clads and works only SOSO// Perry

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Question on the aquarium gravel // I use ordenary beach sand in my 3 lb tumbler --is the aquarium sand special // and worth buying ??? the stuff I use is for just de cruding clads and works only SOSO// Perry

Beach sand is round, no hard edges. If you want a lot more crud remover, you want foundry sand which has sharp edges. WARNING, we are talking clad here. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I use walnut shell and corncob media. The corncob usually has a wax or polish in it. The walnut is coarser/harder, but still not hard enough to damage metals.
I use a few drops of dawn and aquarium stone on my ugliest clad.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use aquarium gravel with ammonia & water mixture (DO NOT ADD DISH SOAP) in a tumbler for clad. For cruddy and dirty pennies/zincolns I use aquarium gravel with a vinegar & water mixture. I don't mix the gravels, I have two separate containers - one for clad, one for pennies. I find these mixtures clean better than dish soap and water. I use the "natural stone" gravel (from Walmart) and not the neon colored stuff becauseI'm unsure if the color would transfer to the coins while cleaning.

Anita

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I use aquarium gravel with ammonia & water mixture (DO NOT ADD DISH SOAP) in a tumbler for clad. For cruddy and dirty pennies/zincolns I use aquarium gravel with a vinegar & water mixture. I don't mix the gravels, I have two separate containers - one for clad, one for pennies. I find these mixtures clean better than dish soap and water. I use the "natural stone" gravel (from Walmart) and not the neon colored stuff becauseI'm unsure if the color would transfer to the coins while cleaning.

Anita

Here,s a little helpful note. Dish soap like Dawn etc. is basically for removing grease type material. Laundry type cleaners are for removing dirt using a water base. Most people don't reconcile the difference. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread