occy

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Also, the nickle bag hit its capacity while I was cashing my metal detecting finds. Had to get the attendant. I asked if I could buy the full bag and she said, no, it is against their policy. Is that the norm?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you use them to dump? If so, do you trust their accuracy completely? I think I was shorted about $40 on my last dump. My fault for not knowing for sure.
I use them, the one I use is seriously accurate, and the few times when it errors, (for instance, counts dimes as cents) I bring it to a teller's attention and they later credit my account.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, the nickle bag hit its capacity while I was cashing my metal detecting finds. Had to get the attendant. I asked if I could buy the full bag and she said, no, it is against their policy. Is that the norm?
It is not the norm but you must first establish a working relationship with the bank or CU. There are exceptions, I have bought bags as a first-time walk-in. It's not that easy anymore, and a few roll-hunting slobs have made banks weary of roll hunters.

They may honestly be unable to sell bags off the machine. I know that in my area some banks that handle Coinstar machines are under contract with (Brinks) and therefore can't sell the bags to the public.

Last edited:

RobbyD49

Jul 5, 2012
SE Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends what kind of counter they use. Scancoin CDS 608, and 800 series are super accurate, even with all dimes. All other CDS 600 series are crap. They're quick to jam and miscount/misread dimes.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
cummins = horrible for dimes, but 100% accurate for everything else
most rail systems are better for dimes but miscount halves.
scan coin = slower but worth the wait for dimes/pennies
brandt, piece of :censored:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50cent has it right on,
i use coin counters, here are my estimated statistics:

50% of the time they are accurate
45% of the time they are off count by at least $1-2, sometimes as much as $5+
5% of the time they count an overage, usually only a dollar or two.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use coin counters nearly every day..This week I was once again miscounted by over 40 dollars at a penny arcade and still haven't seen the money back from when I was miscounted the other times.. It is starting to piss me off.. Like others have said, the average miscount is around 1-2 dollars but I have had it be off by a large amount many times before.. Pour the coins in VERY slowly..

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to hear about the loss man, it's a tough one whenever it's over $20, hopefully you'll get to the "break even" point with the silver you've found at least.
hh
buff
I use coin counters nearly every day..This week I was once again miscounted by over 40 dollars at a penny arcade and still haven't seen the money back from when I was miscounted the other times.. It is starting to piss me off.. Like others have said, the average miscount is around 1-2 dollars but I have had it be off by a large amount many times before.. Pour the coins in VERY slowly..

OP
OP
occy

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I will try and see what kind it is. I will also pour them in slowly from now on. When I was shorted I followed the directions on the machine, which said to pour all the coins in first then press start. I was only doing about $300 in halves when it shorted me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread