Coin Depths ?

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out detecting today ,and did fairly well ,considering i am learning a new to me DeLeon. I dug 4.00 in quarters at a soccer field / park , 8 dimes , 36 pennies , a piece of cut off copper tubing , a cheap gold plated necklace ,and a complete womans Michele watch (cheap). I am wondering if it is just me , but all of these coins were at the 5-6 inch depth , and it is all modern clad. I can go to another park a mile away ,and the coins are 1-3 in deep. Anybody have an idea why? I have thought of mowers running over it pushing it down ,lots of rain , or they put a layer of fill on top ?

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Excal II 8" Stealth scoop 720i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It the growth of grass that pushes the coins deeper. provided no new dirt gets dumped on top. I'm new MD'ing realized this. Most finds are fresh dumps and will be in less than 4 inches. Older coins will probably be deeper. Just think of the ground as being a recycling center. Grass clippings and stuff on top gets build into new layers of dirt. Just look at peoples gardens that they have kept for years in the same place and dumped all their mower clippings on top of. The guy behind the house where I grew up; his garden sits at least 6 inches higher than the rest of his yard. And he will even testify that it was caused from grass clippings and not intentionally done to raise the level of his garden.

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It the growth of grass that pushes the coins deeper. provided no new dirt gets dumped on top. I'm new MD'ing realized this. Most finds are fresh dumps and will be in less than 4 inches. Older coins will probably be deeper. Just think of the ground as being a recycling center. Grass clippings and stuff on top gets build into new layers of dirt. Just look at peoples gardens that they have kept for years in the same place and dumped all their mower clippings on top of. The guy behind the house where I grew up; his garden sits at least 6 inches higher than the rest of his yard. And he will even testify that it was caused from grass clippings and not intentionally done to raise the level of his garden.

very interesting I wonder how much worms add to the mix when they tunnel hmm.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the soil makes a difference also , some of our soccer fields here are sand topped and bermuda grass , so the soil will be softer and coins can move easier . i am sure alot of other things attribute also , like moisture , traffic , movement of the ground like freezes , drought ect,,
i recently did a yard and all the coins were less then 15 yrs old and they all were around 5 inches deep.

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
If your machine has a manual ground balance in all metal mode, try it. No discrimination and manual ground balance will give you the best depth with the coil you are using. Remember the larger the coil the deeper you go. Also, the DD coils are best for handling high mineralization. If there is a lot of trash or targets in your area sometimes a 5" coil is easier to use because there is less targets under it at one time. Keep your coil as close to the ground as you possibly can. If your coil can go 6" deep and you have your coil 3" off of the ground then you are only going to go 3" into the ground. Also when swinging your coil make sure that it stays the same distance from the ground from the far right to the far left. If your coil is coming up at the end of your swing you are screwing up the ground balance and not being as productive as you could be. Remember in order to cover all the ground in front of you that you must overlap 50% of the coil on the next pass. If you don't there might be a target in between where you swung last and where you are swinging now. Hope these few tips help. Have fun.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard night crawlers like to hide under fifty cents pieces to get out of the rain...

liftloop

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soil composition, time in the ground, vegetation, frost heaves (weather) - a lot of variables effect coin depth. There's not a single answer for every location.
luvsdux

OP
OP
racer117

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your machine has a manual ground balance in all metal mode, try it. No discrimination and manual ground balance will give you the best depth with the coil you are using. Remember the larger the coil the deeper you go. Also, the DD coils are best for handling high mineralization. If there is a lot of trash or targets in your area sometimes a 5" coil is easier to use because there is less targets under it at one time. Keep your coil as close to the ground as you possibly can. If your coil can go 6" deep and you have your coil 3" off of the ground then you are only going to go 3" into the ground. Also when swinging your coil make sure that it stays the same distance from the ground from the far right to the far left. If your coil is coming up at the end of your swing you are screwing up the ground balance and not being as productive as you could be. Remember in order to cover all the ground in front of you that you must overlap 50% of the coil on the next pass. If you don't there might be a target in between where you swung last and where you are swinging now. Hope these few tips help. Have fun.
Thanks for the tips Leather.im not new to detecting,just a different detector. i get plenty of depth,I have found coins with the Tesoro at 7 and 8 inches. i was just curious of diffrent depths at parks and yards.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
The deepest coins I found where at least 11" with a old Whites Coin-Master . They must have been from a small spill of 5 and they where in rich black and very very damp soil in a small town in Northern Illinois . The spill was in a area about 15 inches in diameter and on a side street curbside . They had excellent detail but where BRIGHT GREEN . Left them with my father in-law and today they still look the same . I never clean coins ... that's a no-no . My father in law tried on a few and the green seemed to keep the condition nice and once removed becomes pitted and nasty .
Like everyone has said there is no reliable way to say because there are to many variables ... HH , Woodstock

hannahgodfrey

Apr 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find buddy. You should be happy to have dug them out intact. All the more reason to be a proud owner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread