Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into my first serious coin drop in the water yesterday. I dug over $18 of clad in a small area. They were in about waist deep water and i assume soneone had some kids chasing coins. It was an afternoon hunt so i got out there to late to stay at it. I was surprised as to how they were spread out... obviously based on density and size. Never found a lot of pennies .... which made me happy. BUT.... then i went back today. I did a fairly good job at getting the coins or so i thought. Then i hit the surf next to shore..... oooo man there were the pennies everywhere. Ended up with another several dollars worth.... you know how many pennies it takes to make several dollars? What i also learned was digging multiple targets are a challenge. You cant just rescan the hole and know you got the target.... therefore you have to check every scoop. In the surf with every basket being full of shells. Try that for a few hours constantly.... you go home hurting. At least who ever was throwing it paid me back for my time with a 4 gram 14K womans band. Its surprising how these target gather.

Dew

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend and I were just discussing this sort of thing today, how you can spend several hours in a trough and eventually run into a sweet spot, then nothing from the entire rest of the trough. I hunted an area today and pulled three lead fishing weights and a couple of coins from one small area, then nothing from the rest of the trough even though it seemed pretty consistently formed throughout. I run into this sort of thing on the wet sand, coin lines sometimes being formed by size and weight of the coins.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could make a floating sifter, not sure if it will work for your hunting conditions, but I like mine.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post.. I call that sort of thing a "swash cluster". I've found no real way of dealing with it other than what you've done.
One mistake with a floating sifter and you could lose alot.
I work the surf so a floating sifter won't work because of wave action.
You brought up a good point though with the gold..and things being sorted by density and specific gravity. Most of my gold finds other than thin chains are in the trough..it works like panning..the gold being left at the bottom.
I've found you can usually predict where these clusters might be by looking toward the back of the beach for the cuts created by erosion and detecting the first bend in the trough that is down current from the prevailing current or wind direction that created the cut.
The trailing edge of the bend or point ..where lighter material like sand has been pulled out leaving behind larger shells and more dense material.
This is also where I find the majority of fossils on the beach.
Sometimes new sand has already hidden most of the clues that this area existed...sometimes you can just see a slight hump in the beach with some coarser material visible.

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting post, dewcon4414; nice goin' on the coin count and 14 K band:hello2:

Lorraine

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like great fun to me. I love getting a couple of coins in a single scoop. A few coins and a ring in the same scoop is even better.

Sand Gnat

Jul 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett A/T Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Stealth Classic
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow that's a lot of clad! I've haven't run into that much at one time yet. Glad to hear you got some gold in the end!

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit it again the next day. I was wondering where all those pennies were since most of the change had been quarter, nickels and dimes. I thought maybe thats the rolls they had. But nooooo, no such luck. I ran into the pennies and they were right in the troff and surf edge. Do you think i could get 2 pennies at a time.... nope. I dug another $6 in change mostly pennies. Takes a lot of pennies to make a buck. You realize quickly.... you have to get them out of there or you will be digging them every time out only deeper. Also with multi targets it hits you..... you have to dig and check the scoop EVERY time. Try doing that with a 11X8 inch scoop full of shells that dont sift. Dug all i could and called it a day. Here is a picture of the ring.

Dew

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 124

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a guy stop me one time and told me he had had at a birthday party at a privet club with a volley ball court and thought it would be a good idea to through $20.00 in change in the court and let the kids go at it , they only found a couple of coins and he wanted me to see if I could find the rest. of course I found all of it and then some but no rings but it paid for gas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread