COIN EXPERT NEEDED - Coral encrusted coins!!!!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
posted this on TODAYS FINDS as I was excited!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/355763-does-coral-beep-yes-when-its-full-coins.html

IMGP0470.JPG IMGP0471.JPG IMGP0472.JPG IMGP0473.JPG IMGP0474.JPG

can anyone identify??

thanks!!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
At the risk of repeating myself......Felipe V coins came in 5 denominations; the 4R and 8R measured between 34 and 40 mm; clearly larger than the OP's coins.
That leaves 1/2, 1 and 2 Rs as being the three different sizes in the coin stack--assuming they are all Felipe V coins. The standard diameter for a 1/2 R was 16, 17 or 18 mm depending on the year. The standard 1R came in at 20 mm and the 2R at 28 mm. What makes this stack more intriguing is that the 1R presentation pieces of F-V (very valuable) during the years 1706,1715 and 1716 were 27 mm in diameter; nearly identical in diameter to the 2Rs. All this to say: I think the coins are of three denominations: 1/2s, 1s and 2 reales; not 4 Rs nor 8 Rs.
I look forward to reading Sedwick's and/or Heritage's opinion.
Don........

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the risk of repeating myself......Felipe V coins came in 5 denominations; the 4R and 8R measured between 34 and 40 mm; clearly larger than the OP's coins.
That leaves 1/2, 1 and 2 Rs as being the three different sizes in the coin stack--assuming they are all Felipe V coins. The standard diameter for a 1/2 R was 16, 17 or 18 mm depending on the year. The standard 1R came in at 20 mm and the 2R at 28 mm. What makes this stack more intriguing is that the 1R presentation pieces of F-V (very valuable) during the years 1706,1715 and 1716 were 27 mm in diameter; nearly identical in diameter to the 2Rs. All this to say: I think the coins are of three denominations: 1/2s, 1s and 2 reales; not 4 Rs nor 8 Rs.
I look forward to reading Sedwick's and/or Heritage's opinion.
Don........

What would your "gut" feeling be with regards to value?

Don't worry, I wont ask for a check.... :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My gut doesn't tell me squat about this stack's VALUE. However, if I were a seller, I'd certainly put a reserve or minimum PRICE on the stack after I got the opinion of Sedwick and Heritage--who should be able to give you their range of value (hammered price range) which they'd publish as part of their online auction catalog.
The value in that stack is the 'unknown' factor as are its aesthetics AND the bragging rights about your find and from where you believe it came from.

As for numismatic (retail) value per coin, the 2 reales coin, for example, during the reign of Philip V, is basically the same for all years between 1734 and 1741 ($75 per in F condition), $70 in Fine between 1742 and 1747. The exceptions are the 2Rs minted in 1732 and 1733; and therein may lie the mystery of the stack. 2Rs in those years can fetch (retail) from between $350 to $2,750 per. The same applies to the 1/2Rs and the 1Rs: All years of mintage except the '32s and '33s have relatively minimum retail values. Not being able to see the dates adds to the mystery, speculation and potential value of the stack --as is.

For me, I'd get the value opinions of both Sedwick and Heritage, chose one to market the stack, create a reserve price and hope for the best.
Don.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My gut doesn't tell me squat about this stack's VALUE. However, if I were a seller, I'd certainly put a reserve or minimum PRICE on the stack after I got the opinion of Sedwick and Heritage--who should be able to give you their range of value (hammered price range) which they'd publish as part of their online auction catalog.
The value in that stack is the 'unknown' factor as are its aesthetics AND the bragging rights about your find and from where you believe it came from.

As for numismatic (retail) value per coin, the 2 reales coin, for example, during the reign of Philip V, is basically the same for all years between 1734 and 1741 ($75 per in F condition), $70 in Fine between 1742 and 1747. The exceptions are the 2Rs minted in 1732 and 1733; and therein may lie the mystery of the stack. 2Rs in those years can fetch (retail) from between $350 to $2,750 per. The same applies to the 1/2Rs and the 1Rs: All years of mintage except the '32s and '33s have relatively minimum retail values. Not being able to see the dates adds to the mystery, speculation and potential value of the stack --as is.

For me, I'd get the value opinions of both Sedwick and Heritage, chose one to market the stack, create a reserve price and hope for the best.
Don.....

As previous - some great advice, thanks!!!

Please send check to; PO Box 555..........:laughing7:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE;

Sedwicks suggested starting at $500

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
UPDATE;

Sedwicks suggested starting at $500
Im thinking the 1/2, 1, and 2 reales are not as desirable as the 8 reales. You could always try eBay with a high starting bid. Auction listings are free and you have nothing to lose by trying.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread