Coin ID help - Looks like it might have some templer potential???

A

AndyR1961

Coin ID help - Looks like it might have some templer potential???
Hi again guys heres a little feller we found some time back, we origially thought it was roman until we looked up close, will try and get some better photo's tomorrow when the lights better.
One can clearly see a knight holding a sword with the templer cross behind him (I think) and some weird symbols around the edge).
Well after a belt buckle leading to Blackbeards treasure hord - hehe I wish, could this be clues to the grail???????????????? Its ok I am joking.
All the best
Andy

Attachments

• templer.JPG
    templer.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 327
OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

here's the B side..................

Attachments

• temp2.JPG
    temp2.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

ps.............. looking at the nose it could be french I guess (apologies to our friends across the channel)
All the best
Andy

Upvote 0

Tigr50

Greenie
Sep 28, 2003
Roswell NM
I just love these guessing games! I think the "knight" who is probably a king, is holding something square, like a document. What is the metal? I also think that the second picture needs to be rotated so the letters are right-side up. That might help. Templars were usually shown two astride a single horse, to show a pledge of poverty. Let us know what you find out.
Cheers
Tigr50 :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

I think your right Tigr50 re him being a king, (pretty ugly old king thats for sure), metal wise Im not entirely sure I dont want to clean it too much will have a better look in the morning and get some better photo's.
I love a good puzzle too.
All the best
Andy

Upvote 0

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
That is a Byzantine "Trachy" or "Cup Coin". It is made of low grade billon or bronze. You can see that it is Concave. This is thought to have helped to facilitate easy stacking of these coins. Here is a wildwinds.com link to what I think your coin is:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb1962.html

Manuel I Billon Aspron Trachy. 1143-1180, Constantinople Mint. IC XC, nimbate Jesus facing / MANUEL DECP, Manuel wearing chlamys, holding laborum and globe with cross

Gunner

Attachments

• ManualTrachy.jpg
    ManualTrachy.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

Good call Gunner thanks, did a search for Trachy on ebay and conclude its definatly the same coin, many thanks.
All the best
Andy

Upvote 0

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
No problem Andy. I'm really not 100% sure on the exact attribution; however, I am certain it is a Byzantine Trachy. Have any more old coins you've found in England? :). I love attributing these things! lol

Gunner

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

Hi DJ I probably got carried away by the romance of it all :)
It's great to get an ID though.
Gunner I will have a dig through our finds and see what we got.
All the best matey's
Andy

Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
AndyR1961 said:
Hi DJ I probably got carried away by the romance of it all :)
It's great to get an ID though.
Gunner I will have a dig through our finds and see what we got.
All the best matey's
Andy

Andy, I have hunted quite a few Templar sites in Ireland and I've yet to find an artifact but I'm going to keep looking! What you've found is still a great find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread