What's new

Coin identifier phone app

Sandog

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2017
Messages
2,218
Reaction score
5,573
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone used this, or any other similar app? If so, what is your opinion of the performance of the app you have used?

Screenshot_20260201_073957_Google.webp
 
Has anyone used this, or any other similar app? If so, what is your opinion of the performance of the app you have used?

View attachment 2247766
tn_metal_detector.gif
Until a member pipes in - you might consider posting your request on COINS for additional exposure. For members who never heard of this app - take a look at CoinSnap - Coin Identifier (CoinSnap is a powerful mobile application that utilizes AI-driven image recognition technology to accurately identify any coin within seconds!) that may help, etc.
I searched
tn_02.gif
and found (application for identifying coins) and got a number of possible hits for ya.
 
A bit of advice from a 60+ year coin collector: This coin identifying app ( & other similar A I supported apps) quite often are incorrect, & the disclaimers on these sites will tell you, the info given is not guaranteed to be accurate. Any information as to value should be ignored until you can absolutely verify that your coin is what & worth what the app says.

I love innovation & progress, but if the "newest, latest & greatest", "quick & easy" fails to deliver, I have no use for such.

There are much better ways to get info on a coin, but this takes a little time & effort.

Take your coin to an honest professional dealer, if possible.

There are coin collecting forums that will help for no charge, all you have to do is join (free) & post focused, clear pics of your coin (front & back) ... CoinCommunityFamily is one such forum. There's a lot of knowledgeable & helpful folks who know how to help you.

A common complaint on these forums is the use of A I to identify coins, & evaluate them. The biggest problems being 1.) mis-identifying a coin, & 2.) over-valuing a coin.

Sites such as eBay, Etsy, etc. are full of offerings from unknowledgeable sellers who used A I to (mis-)identify a coin, & they're asking 1000s of dollars for something that is worth face value only.

I would suggest using image identification as a start, but I would continue to verify the info given. Remember: a phrase such as "...looks like..." or "...appears to be..." is not verification.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the input folks. It was just one of those things that pop up on your phone from time to time and stirred my curiosity. I don't imagine I'm going to find any coins that would be very hard to ID anyway. But here on the Treasure Coast I guess anything is possible. If I do you'll all see it first. From what I've seen here at least one or two people can tell what day it was minted.
 
tn_metal_detector.gif
Until a member pipes in - you might consider posting your request on COINS for additional exposure. For members who never heard of this app - take a look at CoinSnap - Coin Identifier (CoinSnap is a powerful mobile application that utilizes AI-driven image recognition technology to accurately identify any coin within seconds!) that may help, etc.
I searched
tn_02.gif
and found (application for identifying coins) and got a number of possible hits for ya.
Thanks for the tip. I think that it was very well covered here. Maybe that will save some one from pursuing that as a truly reliable source for ID'ing an obscure coin.
 
..a word about the Red Book ... the values stated in this publication are historically around 2X higher than actual market value.

...that being said, the Red Book is an excellent reference for mintage figures, & other useful info ...

...There's a subscription publication called the "GREY SHEET" that regularly publishes up-to-date values on both US & foreign coins. Dealers use the info to determine coin pricing (buying & selling) ...

...the condition of a coin is a huge factor in determining it's value, the better the condition, the more it's worth. Bear in mind that grading is subjective, but there are basic guidelines that are followed for any given coin...

...for US coin grading, here's a helpful guide: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde ...
 
I'm with Toddspoint, I use the same app he does !
 
My “app”. And it’s time for a newer edition!View attachment 2247880
When I took my 1926 Sesquicentennial gold quarter eagle (now yours) in to a couple of top dealers to confirm what I had the dealers had to use the Red Book to ID it because they had never actually seen one before. That's pretty good recommendation as well.
 
..a word about the Red Book ... the values stated in this publication are historically around 2X higher than actual market value.

...that being said, the Red Book is an excellent reference for mintage figures, & other useful info ...

...There's a subscription publication called the "GREY SHEET" that regularly publishes up-to-date values on both US & foreign coins. Dealers use the info to determine coin pricing (buying & selling) ...

...the condition of a coin is a huge factor in determining it's value, the better the condition, the more it's worth. Bear in mind that grading is subjective, but there are basic guidelines that are followed for any given coin...

...for US coin grading, here's a helpful guide: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde ...
The prices listed in the Red Book are accurate for some coins but for gold coins especially it is not. No yearly printed book can keep up with the fluctuations of gold prices. I mainly use it for identification. If you follow eBay closely that will give you a good idea of reality by watching asking prices and sold prices.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom