Coin? is it a seated Liberty?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need some help with this coin I found yesterday, on one side it looks like seated liberty there is a shield by her seat, the other side I'm not able to make out anything. The coin is about the size of half dollar, weighs .61 oz, or about 17.13 grams and is 1 1/4" diameter. Please reply if you have idea what it is. thanks. It rang up on my Nox at 30-31

IMG_3253.JPG IMG_3254.JPG

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nkellam22 is correct with William IV (William IIII). There are just enough clues left to determine it as a British halfpenny or penny from that reign (with seated Britannia) but, from the size in your hand, it looks more like a penny... although it's difficult to be sure.

View attachment 1861950

These two coins carried no denomination and had the same design, so the only way to tell them apart is from the diameter (and consequent weight). The penny was 34mm and the halfpenny was 28mm. You said it's "about the size of a half dollar" which is 31mm, so that doesn't help unless you are more precise. Unfortunately, that large corrosion spot on the obverse sits right on top of where the date would be,

Attachments

• William IV.jpg
    William IV.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hal2k

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the replies. Thanks Red-Coat the coin is 34mm in diameter, when I uncovered this coin I was hoping it was a seated US coin, it's a great find by all means. The coin was found about 8 inches deep with about half the coin under a tree root, the tree is large enough to be at least 100 plus years old.

Again thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions