New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin or Medal??

Not sure if anybody could recognize this. I only have one side that has detail the other side is totally encrusted with coarse sand particles. Beach find.

I don’t really know where to start because my eyes can’t even read what’s on that. Here are some photos of different angles best I can do.

Thank you so much for looking.
2D64055E-38B8-4638-9F2F-69AE581C3985.jpeg

0256F7A4-7B01-481F-8060-19AA9049CC55.jpeg
7AF0CA28-1DA1-4706-A721-A9B593D60545.jpeg
24E829E5-B004-4BFE-AA1F-BEFD5C67C7CB.jpeg

94AC32CC-F791-40D8-82D3-1A50CE66B8EB.jpeg

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it could have been one of the Shell or Sunoco gas station President coins.
Thanks for reply. I've been searching gas station President coins have not found any that look like this. Tomorrow I will try to find the right magnifying glass to help decipher the letters/words on the coin/medal.

Upvote 2

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's much older than the gas station tokens...I've found a few of these with GW on them. Yours looks super familiar but I can't quite place it. Yours has enough detail with the lettering to ID but I can't make anything out in the photos.

My guess is something similar to the examples you can see here:

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

Attachments

• hclaycompare.jpg
    hclaycompare.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 7

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 1

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes if you shine a flashlight from the side, you'll get better shadows and the details will pop out. Play around with the various brightness as one may be better than the other. However, I believe Bramblefind was able to ID your token.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's much older than the gas station tokens...I've found a few of these with GW on them. Yours looks super familiar but I can't quite place it. Yours has enough detail with the lettering to ID but I can't make anything out in the photos.

My guess is something similar to the examples you can see here:
Thank you for your input. It’s so appreciated !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is very likely a pre- civil war presidential campaign token. Possibly one that hung from a ribbon pin. 1840s-ish in my opinion
Thank you so much for your reply. This is much more of an exciting find than I thought it was.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Henry Clay --? Circa 1848.

Oh wow! That totally looks like it! You did it I see the word Clay written below. This will help me decipher the other letters also. Well done and thank you very much. This is an exciting find. I will mark it aThis will help me decipher the other letters also. Well done and thank you very much. This is a exciting find.

I will mark it as solved later on today. I just want to see if more information comes in.

Thanks again and thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes if you shine a flashlight from the side, you'll get better shadows and the details will pop out. Play around with the various brightness as one may be better than the other. However, I believe Bramblefind was able to ID your token.
Yeah, I tried that and see what you mean. My issue was a very poor vision and I can’t find my magnifying glass that’s in between the two I was using one is too weak. The other one is too strong if you know what I mean. Definitely look solved. Thank you for your contribution.!

Upvote 1

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I tried that and see what you mean. My issue was a very poor vision and I can’t find my magnifying glass that’s in between the two I was using one is too weak. The other one is too strong if you know what I mean. Definitely look solved. Thank you for your contribution.!
take a piece of paper and a pencil and do a rubbing the high points should show up on the rubbing. Just like you used to do in grade school with leaves to show the veins and outline of the leaves. You can Google how to do a rubbing.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread