What's new

Coin or Token?

mountainplayer

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
641
Reaction score
193
Golden Thread
0
Location
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I found this possible token in the yard of a home built in the early 1920's, in a small logging town in CA. Wheat cents found in the same yard dated as early as 1921.

The token is very slightly larger in diameter than a nickel (see pics), and a bit thicker. It appears to be made of a copper/nickel alloy.

Obverse and Reverse are identical. I can read the following: In the center, it says "3ii". Around the edge, it reads "Two Drachms" and "H Troemner Phila".

Any help with an id would be most appreciated.

MP
 

Attachments

  • Finds March 23 2010 006.webp
    Finds March 23 2010 006.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 338
  • Finds March 23 2010 001.webp
    Finds March 23 2010 001.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 312
Thanks, Deftone, that's it exactly.

Ouch, Lucas :wink:You got me there. :notworthy: I jumped the gun and posted because a google search has NEVER helped me figure out any of my own unknown tokens! I had found it listed at tokencatalog.com, but no information was given about the use or the period when these would have been made.

So it appears that I have a Two Drachms druggist weight coin. Anyone out there have anything to indicate a time period?

Edit: 1840's-1940's. Very common design and used for long periods of time. Best I'm going to do as far as dating this thing. Fits with the age of the wheat cents I found along with it.

MP
 
Upvote 0
Yah sorry. :laughing7: You can waste all day on google sometimes. But now you can "Let Me Google That For You" somebody else. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
A druggist's weight coin is something you don't find everyday Aaron. :thumbsup:
With summer just around the corner, you might be able to get out a
little more often and find some more goodies like that. Congrats
May is getting closer...... See ya my friend ...... Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
Upvote 0
OH YEAH! That's a cool find Aaron! I LIKE IT!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom