Coin Restoration (cleaning)

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good! What method did you use? Were they just dirty or was there some corrosion?

OP
OP
Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cudamark said:
Looks good! What method did you use? Were they just dirty or was there some corrosion?

These were some of the worst wheat pennies I have ever dug. I really didn't have any idea how to get the encrustation off and get them in a presentable condition. Where I used to live we would just wash them off, sometimes using a tooth brush and they looked great. So I went on line and found this method of cleaning worthless pennies.

1) Use a toothbrush with soap and water to remove as much grime as possible.
2) Soak in lemon juice for a few minutes until clean. Brush as needed.
3) When clean dip in a solution of baking soda to stop the reaction.
4) Lightly scrub again with toothbrush and plain water
5) Allow to completely dry
6) To restore the appearance of a natural patina use light brown or brown shoe polish applied with a Q tip. Buff with a soft cloth.

Naturally you would never clean a coin that has any value because loosing the patina alone would ruin it, however, most pennies I dig are for my collection and have no value at all until they are cleaned.

If you decide to try it let me know how it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread