Coin Return Logistics? How do you do it?

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering how everyone else returns their coins. First let me acknowledge that 1) I should have seen the post from 6 months ago covering this; 2) I should have googled it.

After I search I put my coins in a big tub. This week I collected about $1,700 in the tub. It is seriously full. I'll then get a medium sized tub and fill it full of about $500 in mixed coins. The tub weighs about 30 pounds; which is just enough to make opening doors a little difficult. I'll load it up and make a run to my credit union coin counting machine. I've only brought one tub per trip per location. I typically return coins at 2 different credit unions, so I have about 7 different locations to pick from. I'll then drop off $500 each day, usually at lunch or after work. Somehow it always seems that I have a crazy amount of change in my big tub. (My wife is sure that someone is going to break in because of my $800 in assorted change.) I also always feel obligated to deposit a portion of the money into my account.

Anyways, how do ya'll return large amounts of coins? How do you get around the weight and bulk of such large amounts of coin? Do you use a sack or tub? What works best? Is there a limit to the amount you return on each trip? I try to fly under the radar at $500 but I'll attracted a lot of attention. I went to a new branch of my credit union and literally every teller and employee came out and wrote down their guess as to how much was in my tub. They even started searching through the tub and one teller told me that some halfs could be silver. "Oh Really?!?" I said. Anyways, so much for stealth...

Catcake

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you really search this subject? I dump $2K plus routinely in one stop ;)

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
I personally think the more dump banks/branches you have, the better. I only dump $500 at a time and I usually have enough dump banks lined up so that each branch gets hit about every month. This way I try to keep the banks happy by not dumping on them all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions