Coin Roll Hunter - returns (after over 30 years)

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
In the late 60s / early 70s, I used to coin roll hunt pennies (looking for wheat's) and nickels (looking for pre-60s). It was all I could afford as a youngster/early teen.

Though I kept coin collecting all these years, didn't hunt coin rolls until a few weeks ago; when I (after hearing good finds were still to be had with half dollars) decided to pickup $230 worth of halves (all my CU had).

I recovered an 81s, 83s, 30 40% silver's, a dozen 64's, a dozen Franklin's and three Walking Liberty's !

While I understand such a find is rare, it has renewed my coin roll hunting pursuit, lesser finds have followed and I won't stop this time.

Merry Christmas everyone !

Upvote 0
B

baseballbandits

Throw some of that luck my way 8) WTG. I havent found much so far, but I will let you know when I do. ;D

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmownator said:
In the late 60s / early 70s, I used to coin roll hunt pennies (looking for wheat's) and nickels (looking for pre-60s).

Can you give us some perspective on what you typically found back then? Were wheaties/silver more common? I started in the late 70s but I don't recall finding them with more frequency then.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
In the late sixties / early seventies, wheats could easily be found at a rate of 10 - 15 per roll. Pre-60 nickels could be found at a slightly higher rate........but rarely any buffs or war nickels.

Those were the days though. If only I had the cash than to have similarly CRHed dimes, quarters and halves. The 90% may have not been so plentiful, but would have occurred with some regularity and the 40% were still current currency and would have been very easy to acquire.

Today's search results:

10 rolls of pennies - 1 wheat (45d), a few 60's and 82's and some newer "Phillies" I was missing
10 rolls of nickels - 42p (not war nickel), 48d, 53p, 54s, 58d, 59d (2), 69s (3) and some newer "Phillies" .........
10 rolls of dimes - 1 silver FDR (58d) and some newer "Phillies" I was missing
25 rolls of halves - 66 (2), 67 (5), 68d (3), BU 76d and a newer 'Philly" I was missing.

Though a greater quantity searched, halves still seem to offer the best ROI; both precious metal-wise as well as numismatically. IMHO

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Ordered, received today and just went through my first full box of halves (prior searches were of 25 rolls or less at time).

40% - 8 (66x2, 67x2, 68Dx3 and a 69D)
90% - 8 (35S, 36S, 43P, 44S, 45S, 46S, 64x2)
Proofs - 02Dx3 and at least a dozen 96Ds (I practiced catch and release on the 96's, so they'll be coming back out there for someone).

NOTE: Of the eight 90%s, only two 64's, the rest were Walking Liberty's; and no Franklin's. Interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions