What's new

Coin? Seal?

Fozzy

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2006
Messages
66
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and Classic III
I'm posting this for a friend~

He found it while detecting a coastal river area. It is verified as silver. I did not include a photo of the other side because it is completely blank.

The image is of a lion wearing a crown with a sword in one paw and apparently arrows in the other. The image is debossed (Engraved?) rather than raised. It is smaller than a dime. I tried scanning it with a dime for size comparison but I think the reflection from the dime kept washing out the detail.

It looks like part of a coin but I guess it could be part of a seal.

Any help identifying this appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • LionCoin.webp
    LionCoin.webp
    70.6 KB · Views: 305
seger98 said:
Looks like it's been cut out of something? ???

Could be- It looks like part of a coin to me. It was found in sandy soil near a coastal river so I'm sure it has seen some wave action. It resembles a Finnish coat of arms.
 
Upvote 0
It's possible this could be a "love token" which was popular during the mid-to-late 19th & early 20th century.
Most often these were fashioned from silver dimes (or anything available. . . buttons, seals, etc.) and the maker
would "smooth" one side (usually for initials) and the other side would have some type of generic decorative design.

Just my thought. . .
watercolor
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom