Coincidences?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when do coincidences become something more? Who can say for sure but this mystery certainly has many and one in particular that just doesn't make sense.

So let us assume that Ward and Sherman were behind the story and the publication and that much of the story's details had been inspired by past events. Seems perfectly reasonable to assume such given the family tree that could have easily rendered that inspiration. And as for all of the names referenced in the tale, well, they were all dead by 1885 so no harm no foul. But wait, because that's no exactly true.

In fact, the story's main character's exact name and rough identity was still alive in 1885 and he was living in the very city where the party members were to have lived near and also where the unknown author claimed to have had important business affairs. Ward, Sherman, and many more within the Bedford region were no strangers to Richmond so how is it that a nearly perfect match of the narration's main character, the only such match, can be found in Richmond? Is it simple coincidence or is it something more?

In 1884 we find our TJB of Richmond doing exactly what the unknown author suggested when he warned of the perils should one spend too much time pursuing the mystery. In 1885 someone even felt it necessary to post an article in regards to the arrival of TJB's son and his wife, an event that was rather common so why make such a public deal out of the arrival of this particular son as if it was some sort of a grand affair? Is it coincidence that this event took place just a months before the Beale narration was published?

And speaking of coincidences, is it any coincidence that this same son & wife also routinely show up on the same family tree of the Beale lineage who possessed the early land grants in the Texas region? Now this a huge mess to sort out, for sure, but somewhere along the line several have found reason to establish these connections but I have yet to discover why or to sort it all out? But is it by coincidence if accurate?

So here's what I think is a very likely scenario, I think it is very-very possible, if not extremely likely, that the TJB of Richmond penned that narration and then he handed it off to Ward to serve as agent, and then with this done, I think he set out to make up for lost time, which is why that curious announcement of his son's visit showed up in that 1884 newspaper.

So, “if” what I'm suggesting is accurate then the big question obviously becomes, “what inspired TJB to draw upon the events and details in his narration when he wrote that narration?” :dontknow:

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The really major question with this version, is WHY would a born freeman of color who served with the CSA Richmond Howitzers contact James Beverly Ward to act as agent and publisher with a finished manuscript of a highly suspect story with ciphers?
To WHAT purpose?
...and one would have to find evidence that this future Alderman of Jackson Ward, Richmond, traveled to Lynchburg during the "2nd year of the Confederate War" to receive the story, letters and iron box with ciphers from Morriss at Anzoletta Saunders house.

This is just another force fitting of a similar name with totally unrelated facts to promote another "story behind the Beale story theory".
The "unknown author" of the Beale Papers presented just enough information and description of persons, places, and things to make the narrative story plausible, drawing the reader into a believability that by solving the ciphers with the proffered DOI solved cipher, that the possibility of instant wealth was possible.
After 132+ years the Beale Papers as a period adventure treasure dime novel with play along ciphers stands as the status quo, and no one or nothing has been presented to prove different.
This is my opinion, and so far, it has not been proven wrong by anyone or any evidence to the contrary.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The really major question with this version, is WHY would a born freeman of color who served with the CSA Richmond Howitzers contact James Beverly Ward to act as agent and publisher with a finished manuscript of a highly suspect story with ciphers?
To WHAT purpose?
...and one would have to find evidence that this future Alderman of Jackson Ward, Richmond, traveled to Lynchburg during the "2nd year of the Confederate War" to receive the story, letters and iron box with ciphers from Morriss at Anzoletta Saunders house.

This is just another force fitting of a similar name with totally unrelated facts to promote another "story behind the Beale story theory".
The "unknown author" of the Beale Papers presented just enough information and description of persons, places, and things to make the narrative story plausible, drawing the reader into a believability that by solving the ciphers with the proffered DOI solved cipher, that the possibility of instant wealth was possible.
After 132+ years the Beale Papers as a period adventure treasure dime novel with play along ciphers stands as the status quo, and no one or nothing has been presented to prove different.
This is my opinion, and so far, it has not been proven wrong by anyone or any evidence to the contrary.

It's just a theory, and not a claim of remedy or solution. And, on a personal note, I'll even go a step further and I'll suggest to you that this TJB likely knew Morriss, if in fact, he wasn't the person detailed in the narration who had been allowed to stay with Morriss for a period of time with no remuneration at all. But it's all just a theory, an educated opinion. In this scenario Ward was close to Morriss and he also had obvious publishing connections. Just putting it out here......

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might also suggest that you read my original post again very carefully and see if you notice a particular curiosity.....a not so obvious curiosity that is part of that mess I have yet to sort out.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It's just a theory, and not a claim of remedy or solution. And, on a personal note, I'll even go a step further and I'll suggest to you that this TJB likely knew Morriss, if in fact, he wasn't the person detailed in the narration who had been allowed to stay with Morriss for a period of time with no remuneration at all. But it's all just a theory, an educated opinion. In this scenario Ward was close to Morriss and he also had obvious publishing connections...
We have discussed this "theory" before, which is derived by that "swarthy" description of Thomas J Beale in the job print pamphlet.
The future Alderman of Jackson Ward, Richmond, Thomas J Beale was born a freeman of color in 1823 in Richmond City, Virginia, and married Sophia Pemberton, a freewoman of color, October 1, 1851, served as a Confederate in the Richmond Howitzers, a unit composed of freemen of color, and was elected Alderman of the Jackson Ward section of Richmond, which was named after the Confederate War, becoming the residence of the newly freemen in Richmond.
The son and wife visit was mentioned in the "society" page of that Richmond newspaper, which was a common practice during that time, similar to the Pensacola article of Ward's married daughters dining and entertaining their Woodson cousin who served on the USS ALABAMA.

Returning to the premise of this thread, this speculative theory is not so much based on the minimal curiosity "coincidence" information presented, but rather possible gossamer "happenstance".

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh....but Grasshopper, you are still missing the not so obvious, "if" true. The son.....follow up on the son. "If" it is accurate that he was, in some way, related to the Beales of Texas land grant fame, which it appears that he may have been, then what is this saying about his father? Add to this, "if" accurate, then how is his father a freeman of color? Where did this come from? As for that article in regards to the son and his wife, seems to me the father is possibly reuniting with his son who, as it appears, was living with "white" family in Texas. Do you see where this is possibly going? According to the narration, and according to the author, Morriss allegedly assumed that TJB was from some, "western portion of the state." Point is, "if" the son was related to the Beales in Texas then at some point there had to be, and here it comes, an illegitimate son of mixed race, hence the reference to dark and swarthy complexion and other such references. But sorting all of this out is quite messy to dive into to....and then add to all of this, the TJB of Richmond, his parents are still unknown. So who was his father? Given what information we have, would you care to take a wild guess......:laughing7:

Note: according to the narration, TJB was "popular with the ladies." And as you pointed out, the TJB of Richmond was born in, or near abouts, 1823, depending on which account you desire to apply. "If" the father was still in the area in 1822 and still active with the ladies then the son, TJB of Richmond, could have easily been born in "1823". This son then being named after his father and retaining his father's last name.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhh....but Grasshopper, you are still missing the not so obvious, "if" true. The son.....follow up on the son. "If" it is accurate that he was, in some way, related to the Beales in Texas at some point...

Note: according to the narration, TJB was "popular with the ladies." And as you pointed out, the TJB of Richmond was born in, or near abouts, 1823, depending on which account you desire to apply. "If" the father was still in the area in 1822 and still active with the ladies then the son, TJB of Richmond, could have easily been born in "1823". This son then being named after his father and retaining his father's last name.
Dr John Charles Beales of the 1833 Mexican Empresario Texas land grant of land north of the Rio Grande, was in London, England, 1820-1826 doing an internship at St Georges Hospital, and then relocated to Michoacán, Mexico as the company surgeon for the British backed, TLALPUJAHU MINING ASSOCIATION.
This Beales was not in Richmond in 1823.

NOTE* Beales received this Empresario land grant because he had married a Mexican widow that also owned property.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr John Charles Beales of the 1833 Mexican Empresario Texas land grant of land north of the Rio Grande, was in London, England, 1820-1826 doing an internship at St Georges Hospital, and then relocated to Michoacán, Mexico as the company surgeon for the British backed, TLALPUJAHU MINING ASSOCIATION.
This Beales was not in Richmond in 1823.

NOTE* Beales received this Empresario land grant because he had married a Mexican widow that also owned property.

But we're not talking about that Beale being in Richmond in 1822/23.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS, here is the existing quandary that I have yet to sort out so maybe you can;
TJB of Richmond is a free man of color, thus his son is, at the very least, also of at least mixed blood as well.
So how is it that this same son frequently shows up in lineage with the Texas Beales given that this union is, as you pointed out, of European and Mexican blood?
My point here is this, A) "it don't work."...and B) what race, or mix of race, was this son's father, or the TJB of Richmond? "If" the son was related to the Texas Beales then so was his father in some unknown way?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The existing quandary, Bigscoop, is where is the connection of born freeman of color Thomas J Beale of Richmond to the Texas Beales descendants of Dr John Charles Beales who spent his later years practicing medicine for an insurance company in New York City?
This just more could be, maybe, what ifs that have nothing whatsoever to do with the narrative story presented in the Beale Papers.

One can just as easily create a connection to Thomas Beale Jr dying in New Orleans the same year, 1823, that the future Jackson Ward Alderman, Thomas J Beale, was born in Richmond of unknown parents- claim that a medium revealed at a séance the real story behind the Beale story, which involved Galveston and Lafitte and an Olive and Vine Colony French connexion, and ...
the possibilities are endless. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The existing quandary, Bigscoop, is where is the connection of born freeman of color Thomas J Beale of Richmond to the Texas Beales descendants of Dr John Charles Beales who spent his later years practicing medicine for an insurance company in New York City?

I figured you had yet to go there...."follow the son." When you do this you are going to discover some odd things/connections, as is often the case with genealogical searches. But even if you don't want to go through all of that in required length, "who was the father of TJB of Richmond?" We know when he was born, supposedly where he was born, but no known parents?

When I tried to track all of this down I found several listings for the father of this son....none of them were a Thomas Beale? Very clearly, according to that newspaper article, the TJB of Richmond was his father, yes? So if these other accounts are correct in including the son in these other Beale families then how come this Thomas J. Beale is never in those same trees? This is the mess I'm speaking of.....

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...because he is not of those "trees".
You are building this what if based only on the happenstance of the Thomas J Beale name and that person possibly being "swarthy".
That's it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...because he is not of those "trees".
You are building this what if based only on the happenstance of the Thomas J Beale name and that person possibly being "swarthy".
That's it.

ECS.....if his son is, then he is too. Has to be. That's my whole point in that mess, how can the son be placed in those trees without the father being there as well? Forget everything else and just explain that one away because I can't? I have no idea what information some of these folks used to arrive at those trees but they sure got there somehow? So all I'm saying is that whole mess needs examined and cleaned up before you can say with 100% assurance, "because he doesn't belong in those trees." And another certainty for you, the TJB of Richmond DID have a father. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a way, you're actually posting some details in support of the theory. You say, TJB was born in "Richmond" in 1823, "a free man of color." The last Beale deposit was made in the winter of 1821, so, if his father stayed in the region until spring of 22, say, April when the child was conceived, then YES, 1823 becomes a perfect date of birth. So, who was his father if he was "a free man of color?" :laughing7: He didn't become a man of color some time after birth, he was born that way. :laughing7: And where did the unknown author claim the party members lived near? :laughing7:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It still comes down to finding and positively identifying the real Thomas Beale, be it the unknown father of the good Alderman, or the character in the Beale Papers, which appears NOT to be the same.
It is interesting that now you reference the narrative text of the Beale Papers, a story that has no proof of ever happening outside of the 1885 job print pamphlet, to prove a connection to the Texas Beales of the Mexican Empresario land grant to the Richmond Jackson Ward Alderman of 1884.
As for the deposit dates, they were once promoted as being connected to the signing and ratification of the Adams-Onis Treaty.
Once again, the open ended ambiguity of the pseudo facts presented in the Beale Papers leads to this speculative conjecture that always ends in a cul-de-sac.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... And where did the unknown author claim the party members lived near? ...
Unknown author, unknown party, unknown parents, unknown father, that sums up all the alternative Beale stories and the Beale Papers- all unknowns. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But here's the nudge, my friend,....you recently claimed that "nobody has proven you wrong yet." But what you also need to say is, "nor can I prove that I'm right." :laughing7: A strong possibility, yes, but it could just as easily be way off? :dontknow:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Waiting is..." - Robert Heinlein.
:laughing7:....the list of answers;
often easy
often convenient
often a good time for a nap
often frustrating
often pointless
often fruitless
sometimes rewarding......

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Unknown author, unknown party, unknown parents, unknown father, that sums up all the alternative Beale stories and the Beale Papers- all unknowns. :icon_thumright:

Secret Party , Secret Treasure , Hidden in a Secret Place , With a Secret Cipher needed to find the Secret Treasure Hidden by a group of Secret People . Maybe the whole thing was a SECRET . 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread