Coins in catalogs?

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Anyone ever get different catalogs with all varieties of stuff. I got this one today. Forget what it was called, but they are selling bags with all Wheat pennies. It has like so many lbs in it. I know the price was like $35. Also claims you'll get a 1909 in it, and possibly could be a VDB worth over $3,000 it states.
Also there is a sack with 1/4 lb of Buffalo Nickels(23 coins it says)

Are these a scam or could they legitimately be decent coins? They claim to be unsearched also.

Upvote 0
Question? how can they claim there is a 1909 if the bag is unsearched? This sounds like some of the "unsearched' rolls on Ebay where they shove sucker bait on the ends of a roll or two I would stay away from these myself

santafeboy said:
Question? how can they claim there is a 1909 if the bag is unsearched? This sounds like some of the "unsearched' rolls on Ebay where they shove sucker bait on the ends of a roll or two I would stay away from these myself

Yeah I'll have to check if it says there is one in there or if it says there could be one. Also I see in these catalogs jewelry made with a Buffalo Nickel or IH penny in it. Like seriously, ruin some more coins..... To me the pics look too perfect but who knows.

Anything that they are paying to have published in a magazine could not POSSIBLY have a good deal to be found, they advertised to make money, not give away a deal.

Ok I looked it over again.

Wheat pennies was a bag with 1 lb., they want $38.94 for it or some oddball price. It does say you'll get 1 1909 in it, then at bottom it claims they are unsearched. So unless there putting all the rest random but with coins from each of the 6 decades they made them and then the 1 1909 they shouldn't claim they are unsearched.

It really depends on who is selling them and how "unsearched" they are. Most likely, they aren't searched by them, BUT they buy them from coin dealers and such who have already searched them. If you are a die variety collector and know of some die varieties for wheats you want, it might be a good deal, but don't expect to get a 1909-S or a 1914-D, but you might get some interesting coins.

mws_1984 said:
Ok I looked it over again.

Wheat pennies was a bag with 1 lb., they want $38.94 for it.......

1 lb is only about 147 wheat pennies = $1.47

..So it's unsearched, and your guaranteed a 1909 penny. 100% SEARCHED.

Sure, you COULD get a 1909-s-VDB worth $1,500+, but your odds of the many people who searched each date is as slim as winning the mega millions. Don't go for it, my personal thoughts. HH.

for the $35 bucks you will spend ---most likely you will get a plain 1909 (no mint mark = philly - low grade coin - worth say $2 / $3 ) for sure in a holder + a 1 lb bag of random "unsearched" by them wheat cents (about 143 or so cents) that you can buy in bulk for oh say 5 cents each ( so about $7 for the bulk coins and $2/.$3 for the 1909 (plain - G4 ) --SO AT BEST $9 / $10 VALUE FOR $35 AND SHIPPING. --theres one born every minute. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

the odds of you hitting a really good coin in that "unsearched" batch is slim to none -- good luck finding a 1922 or a 1914 d or 1909 s or 1909 s vbd or 1955 double die or such.--bet it is mostly post 1945 thru the 1950 's coins --few if any teens and little 20's / 30's --- JUST BECAUSE ON A NUMBERS BASIS ALONE THEY MADE MANY MORE WHEAT CENTS DURING THE POST WAR FISCAL "BOOM" YEARS THAN THEY DID DURING THE FISCALLY LEANER PRE WAR YEARS .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back