Immy
Silver Member
- #1
Thread Owner
Anybody see it? Pretty interesting. Among the highlights:
- Opening up a green machine to show how it sorts
- How they're emptied when the bins are full
- Coinstar's largest single transaction? $16,000 in pennies from a guy in Alabama
- Inside Brinks' gi-normous coin sorting/rolling facility in LA (I'm still drooling!)
Not mentioned:
- How the machines differentiate silver
- What's done with rejects at the Brinks plant
But what's very clear is that none of the workers could possibly have time to cull silver judging by the size and speed of the sorting machines.
This will probably show up on Youtube at some point. Fascinating!
- Opening up a green machine to show how it sorts
- How they're emptied when the bins are full
- Coinstar's largest single transaction? $16,000 in pennies from a guy in Alabama
- Inside Brinks' gi-normous coin sorting/rolling facility in LA (I'm still drooling!)
Not mentioned:
- How the machines differentiate silver
- What's done with rejects at the Brinks plant
But what's very clear is that none of the workers could possibly have time to cull silver judging by the size and speed of the sorting machines.
This will probably show up on Youtube at some point. Fascinating!
. I called a Loomis distributor the other day. I posed as a reporter that was doing a story on CRH and coin collecting. I talked with the guy who was supposed to be a head honcho for about 15 minutes. He mentioned trade secrets a number of times and laughed when I asked about the silver being sorted out. He did confirm that there was a good possibility of going through the entire population of half dollars in a district. He also said they had plenty of Eisenhower dollars but had never heard of a bank ordering them! He said that the halves were likely the only coin you might see more than once. He wouldn't even give a break down of district areas and refused to give his name. It got funny when he started talking "off the record" about how he was a coin collector and started quizzing me about coins and their values. All in all pretty entertaining time. I suggest you give it a shot your area.







