Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody see it? Pretty interesting. Among the highlights:

- Opening up a green machine to show how it sorts

- How they're emptied when the bins are full

- Coinstar's largest single transaction? $16,000 in pennies from a guy in Alabama

- Inside Brinks' gi-normous coin sorting/rolling facility in LA (I'm still drooling!)

Not mentioned:

- How the machines differentiate silver

- What's done with rejects at the Brinks plant

But what's very clear is that none of the workers could possibly have time to cull silver judging by the size and speed of the sorting machines.

This will probably show up on Youtube at some point. Fascinating!

Cole317

Greenie
May 5, 2009
I don't know about them not having time to grab the silver, If i worked there, and I saw silver, my hand's going into the roller regardless of the consequences

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
I caught the last 15 min of it.

There is no way to pull the silver even if you could they can only
grab one or two and I'm sure the security is top notch.

The one thing I did not understand was the pennies that were
weighed. How would this be accurate with zinc and copper?

Ju8vP3t

Saw it listed, but missed it, my last 4 Brinks boxes have yielded good results, I don't think any of the courier companies sort for silver, I don't think they're interested in it. They do well enough already

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Didn't see it but I think the only one sorting off the silver is all us fellow silver miners :tongue3: . I called a Loomis distributor the other day. I posed as a reporter that was doing a story on CRH and coin collecting. I talked with the guy who was supposed to be a head honcho for about 15 minutes. He mentioned trade secrets a number of times and laughed when I asked about the silver being sorted out. He did confirm that there was a good possibility of going through the entire population of half dollars in a district. He also said they had plenty of Eisenhower dollars but had never heard of a bank ordering them! He said that the halves were likely the only coin you might see more than once. He wouldn't even give a break down of district areas and refused to give his name. It got funny when he started talking "off the record" about how he was a coin collector and started quizzing me about coins and their values. All in all pretty entertaining time. I suggest you give it a shot your area.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions