Coinstar Magnet question?

mfleming98

Greenie
Jan 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. I've been doing alot of searching and reading on the forums and I'm always reading about the great finds in the reject trays and magnets of Coinstars (found a 2 penny Spanish euro piece there today). But I can't get a clear description of where the magnet is, how to access it and how to get the goodies on it. Maybe I'm not seeing it, or I'm just too tired lol. Can someone give a good description of how to get to it? I'm surrounded by places with Coinstars and I'm looking forward to adding to my collection :)

Thanks

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do not have permission accessing the magnet of the bank's or grocery store's coin machine, tehnically you're considered stealing if you take money from inside the machine that is not yours. There is a point where greed takes over.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The coins that are taken off of magnets are not from coinstar brand machines, but machines like coinstars. On an actual Coinstar brand machine, the coins are just in the reject tray, sometimes in a nearby trashcan, or commonly under the machine.

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

These kind of machines have 2 places where you can find coins. One is the magnetic tray. It is the tray where you pour your coins to count them. The tray inside has a magnet that catch most of the foreign coins and a few Americans too. To access that you have to lift the tray and that could get you in some trouble. Now there is the rejection tray that is at the bottom of the machine. It looks like the soda machine slot where the soda machines give you your change in coins. That tray some times spit coins with defects :merror:, foreign coins that were not cached with the magnet and some times silver coins. I am comfortable picking a coin from the last one, since you don't have to open the machine and usually there is 1 or 2 coins at best. With wall-mart is better to ask , tell them you collect foreign coins and that you would like to search the coins tray for old coins that are out of circulation. May be they would say yes. Also look all over the machine some times people left coins rejected by the machine over the machine counter and those I pick up all the time. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
M

mfleming98

Greenie
Jan 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the clarification. Was getting confused by the little details lol. On a cooler note though, I walked by the same Coinstar at my supermarket today, and in the reject tray was a pretty 1964 Roosevelt. Good day today!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions