Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Outside Colfax there’s a campground/day use area on the Bear river that you can pan at. There are a number of books on public panning locations in California. Pioneer mining in Auburn has a good selection of literature.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outside Colfax there’s a campground/day use area on the Bear river that you can pan at. There are a number of books on public panning locations in California. Pioneer mining in Auburn has a good selection of literature.
I spent a lot of days face down on the Bear camp site #1 county park with a big day use area. Just find a vacant hole and jump in a wet suit will make for a better day.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this beauty at that section of Bear Creek near the campground parking lot back in 2016.
Couldn't believe it when it appeared in the 8" sluice!

Good luck!

- Brian
IMG_3503.jpg

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice display case for your BEAUTY !! :occasion14: :icon_thumleft:
Thanks, that nugget sits in a case with little bits of gold from each place that I've visited to prospect. Case is getting dusty - need to clean it!
(Side-note: All of it is "in the wild" gold - no tourist gold, not that there's anything wrong with tourists learning to pan etc. at those pay-to-pan places. I just like to venture out to places like Bear Creek to find it "in the wild"!)

There's a hole waiting for more Alaska gold. (There's a whole story behind that hole, but I've already distracted too much from Randy's original post.)

IMG_3505.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread