collect or sell?

J

jonesy1970

I have always "checked my change" and when I worked as a cashier in retail growing up I would always look for anything good. I have always kept everything I have found but it hasn't ammounted to much more than a cigar box full.

Now I am interested in CRH. From reading past postings it seems that I could have a large quantity of silver and old coins on my hands, if I am lucky or persistent.

I would like to know if you guys usually keep all your finds, sell them all, or do a combo?

Thanks

Upvote 0

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well what i do is if i find more than one of the same coin i will sell the one in worse cindition so that i can have more money to roll hunt.
but you can keep your finds if you want the only reason why i sell is that i dont have a job so i have to get the money for the rolls

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I'm keeping all I find for now. But if silver goes up to over $25/oz I'll be tempted. I also am keeping the best of each year, any errors or varieties, any commoritives, and some of the oddballs like gold plated etc.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I keep all my good coins. All foreign coins (including canadian), wheat pennies and back, 1959 nickels and back, etc. If I ever found a coin that was worth serious money then it would be a dilemma. I'm not sure I'd know what to do...probably save them. I'm only 21 and single, but I want a huge collection of my own so I can have them for my kids some day. Sounds lame I know, but I'm a hopeless romantic in that way. :P

T

TreasureTales

Snee said:
I keep all my good coins. All foreign coins (including canadian), wheat pennies and back, 1959 nickels and back, etc. If I ever found a coin that was worth serious money then it would be a dilemma. I'm not sure I'd know what to do...probably save them. I'm only 21 and single, but I want a huge collection of my own so I can have them for my kids some day. Sounds lame I know, but I'm a hopeless romantic in that way. :P

You sound so SWEET Snee, are you busy tonight????? hahahaha

Hey, that's actually a very good idea because it might just make a great nestegg for your future kids. But I'd try being a little more selective in what I keep if I were you. Do you have the Red (Whitman's) Coin Book? If you check it out you'll see which coins have lower quantities and then maybe you would want to be more interested in saving them rather than coins that have HUGE quantities in circulation. But whatever, it's hard to go wrong when collecting MONEY (old or not).

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I sell all my 40% halves unless it is something special, like the 1868-S Proof I found a couple of months ago.
I will save Walkers until I get a flock of them, or if I find an ultra-rare one. Same with Bens and Barbers.

What is truly collectable I will hang onto. Stuff that has silver in it and is nothing special I will sell.

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
for me I am waiting on it to hit alot higher then just maybe them will I sell.
Pennyworth said:
I sold all of my silver and I'm going to Vegas baby!!! ;D
Way to go on the trip to Vegas Pennyworth.
Best Regards, Ray

OP
OP
J

jonesy1970

Thanks to everyone for the posts so far.

I guess I will keep everything until I get a bit more knowledge. Then I may part with some duplicates or coins with very high cirrculation numbers so I can put a bit of cash back into buying.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm keeping it all until I have a good reason to sell it all. At 24, I'm young enough to hoard it for a while. Maybe one day I'll "halve' enough to buy a house with it all ;)

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Combo. I keep one or two of each date/mint mark, sell the rest. But if you sell, remember, sell HIGH, buy LOW. Silver is up right now, might be a good time to sell. But remember, it is money, it will always be worth something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread