What's new

Cologne? Medicine? Who Knows This Bottle?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,315
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northcentral Florida
Here's a bottle I acquired at a bottle show many moons ago. I still don't know what it was used for, though the bottle is embossed "N. S. P." on its sloping shoulder. It has a blow-pipe pontil scar and a rolled lip.

I'm certain that this bottle is American. Over the years, I have seen similar bottles with more-elaborate embossing. One of those bottles is H. LAKE'S INDIAN SPECIFIC.

Does anyone here know this bottle or have an idea of what "N. S. P." might stand for??


cologneNSP.webp​
 
Harry Pristis said:
Here's a bottle I acquired at a bottle show many moons ago. I still don't know what it was used for, though the bottle is embossed "N. S. P." on its sloping shoulder. It has a blow-pipe pontil scar and a rolled lip.

I'm certain that this bottle is American. Over the years, I have seen similar bottles with more-elaborate embossing. One of those bottles is H. LAKE'S INDIAN SPECIFIC.

Does anyone here know this bottle or have an idea of what "N. S. P." might stand for??



​

Tough call on Cologne or Med's...and the only thing I can find on the NSP is Northern states power
 
Hello Harry, Could the P stand for Perfume :icon_scratch: Just a guess, but a cool bottle :icon_thumleft: Paul :coffee2:
 
Harry, these guys may know, the Lakes is from our area (Syracuse). I can't come up with anything.

The Empire State Bottle Collectors Assoc. BARRY HAYNES, PO Box 900, Mexico, NY 13114, PH: (315) 963-0922 or JOHN GOLLEY, email: bygolley@msn.com.

I notice the design and engraving of the letters N.S.P. is almost identical to that of the Lakes, could have been cut by the same craftsman.
 

Attachments

  • compare.webp
    compare.webp
    47.4 KB · Views: 256
gleaner1 said:
Harry, these guys may know, the Lakes is from our area (Syracuse). I can't come up with anything.

The Empire State Bottle Collectors Assoc. BARRY HAYNES, PO Box 900, Mexico, NY 13114, PH: (315) 963-0922 or JOHN GOLLEY, email: bygolley@msn.com.

I notice the design and engraving of the letters N.S.P. is almost identical to that of the Lakes, could have been cut by the same craftsman.
Thanks for the lead, 'gleaner1' . . . I emailed the second of the two right away, but I haven't heard back.

Wish I had a bottle embossed like your H. LAKE'S! :notworthy:
 
Harry, that piece is not mine, I used a pic I got from a good article concerning early meds, including the lakes. You can google it easily. I always thought the shape of these was proprietary to the Lakes's, but it seems the design was used by others. Hope you get some answers soon.
 
gleaner1 said:
Harry, that piece is not mine, I used a pic I got from a good article concerning early meds, including the lakes. You can google it easily. I always thought the shape of these was proprietary to the Lakes's, but it seems the design was used by others. Hope you get some answers soon.
There was a reference and a pic of H. LAKE'S in OB&GC magazine I just read. I believe that I have seen a third version of this bottle with embossing, but I didn't make a note in passing.

I found it in Glass Works Auction #66 back in October of 2003. The description reads:

372. "HOLME & KIDD", American, ca. 1840 - 1860, deep bluish aqua, 6 1/2"h, pontil scarred base, rolled lip. A very crude and very rare medicine bottle. Very similar to the famous H. Lake's Indian Specific bottle except considerably smaller.

It sold for $210. The mild irony here is that I bought my NSP bottle from Jim Hagenbuch back in 1989 off his table at the St. Pete show. I can tell you that I didn't give much for it -- today, it looks like a good purchase decision.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom