What's new

Colonial button?

Eagle101

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
396
Reaction score
832
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this button today in Newport RI. I'm not sure of the age but I've found a lot of colonial items in the area. Any help id'ing this button will be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 1433711818212.webp
    1433711818212.webp
    42.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 1433711869481.webp
    1433711869481.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 10
Probably Victorian Era (1837-1901) Cool Button! But just a guess!

Online excerpt:

Brass picture buttons from the Victorian era are also collectible. These charming discs were stamped with images taken from everything from operas to children’s books. In fact, if you wanted to tell the world you were a fan of a work of literature, you’d sew buttons featuring scenes from the novel or story on your coat or shirt. Other picture buttons took their cues from nature (flora and fauna), the sciences (stars and moons), or mythology (cupids and fairies).
 
Yeah looks well past the Colonial period.
 
THE EAGLE HAS LANDED,AND WHAT DID HE FIND, A COLONIAL BUTTON WITH A SPORTING FACE DESIGN,LIKE TO SEE IT AFTER CLEAN UP.VANZUTPHEN
 
Def victorian era, though late victorian (likely 1890s-1900s)
 
very cool find. i like that.
 
Love that button a lot! Great find.
 
Thanks for the info everyone. I've dug a lot of buttons and this one has the best detail of any I've dug.
 
that's really cool, don't think ive ever seen one like that before!
 
Nice find! I found one like it listed in The Big Book of Buttons (1991) -

Shepherd Boy
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    439.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    307.6 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom