What's new

Colonial Cleanup- CTX vs Ironpatch Round 3

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2014
Messages
3,712
Reaction score
5,634
Golden Thread
5
Location
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Linked up with DnD for a short afternoon hunt after work at his colonial turned British camp. This site is covered in thousands of rose head nails, so there are no "clean" signals to dig. Every potential target is a slight whisper on the CTX or chirp on the Deus among the iron and then its just a matter of getting lucky. While DnD has certainly done a solid job of saving relics through a combination of sifting and swinging, there are a few more surprises left in that dirt. Today my weapon of choice was the CTX, sorry Vino :laughing7: I'll learn that Deus eventually. My favorite dig today was also the 5th 18th century rosette from the site. Love that olive green patina that you just don't get with salt water recoveries.

P2020150.webpP2020151.webp

Also heavily masked by iron was this period buckle.

P2020152.webpP2020153.webp

The big mystery is this lead alloy item, approximately 3.5 inches in length. ID help is greatly appreciated.

1.webp2.webp3.webp

Among the other finds were a large section of lead, pipe stem, and pottery fragments. As always thanks for looking!

P2020149.webp
 
Upvote 34
Sweet finds! Seeing your lead alloy item gave me an excuse to flip through the "Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia Of the American Revolution" and see if anything jumped out at me. ha I know the stuff DnD and you have dug there fits into that timeframe perfectly. I was thinking it was part to a tool and then on page 104 something caught my eye. Perhaps a handle to a piece of "drinkingware" with a hinged lid? This example in the book says its 4 5/8" high, so proportionally your item fits. It has a hing hole for a lid, appears to be contoured somewhat like a handle, and has an attachment point at the bottom to go into the side of the cup. While not even close to an exact match, the form of yours, fits the function!

IMG_20160202_231344.webp3.webp
 
Last edited:
Sweet finds! Seeing your lead alloy item gave me an excuse to flip through the "Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia Of the American Revolution" and see if anything jumped out at me. ha I know the stuff DnD and you have dug there fits into that timeframe perfectly. I was thinking it was part to a tool and then on page 104 something caught my eye. Perhaps a handle to a piece of "drinkingware" with a hinged lid? This example in the book says its 4 5/8" high, so proportionally your item fits. It has a hing hole for a lid, appears to be contoured somewhat like a handle, and has an attachment point at the bottom to go into the side of the cup. While not even close to an exact match, the form of yours, fits the function!

View attachment 1268013View attachment 1268017

You beat me to it. agreed
 
I love that buckle Jon!!
It's perfect.
Looks like my kind of hunt!!
No worries about the Deus.. Lol
Do you have the 6inch coil for the CTX?
 
Sweet finds! Seeing your lead alloy item gave me an excuse to flip through the "Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia Of the American Revolution" and see if anything jumped out at me. ha I know the stuff DnD and you have dug there fits into that timeframe perfectly. I was thinking it was part to a tool and then on page 104 something caught my eye. Perhaps a handle to a piece of "drinkingware" with a hinged lid? This example in the book says its 4 5/8" high, so proportionally your item fits. It has a hing hole for a lid, appears to be contoured somewhat like a handle, and has an attachment point at the bottom to go into the side of the cup. While not even close to an exact match, the form of yours, fits the function!

View attachment 1268013View attachment 1268017
Thanks for the ID help outdoor, think you are spot on with the drinking ware handle. While not a perfect fit the form is nearly identical. Looks like I'll need to add another book to my collection
 
I love that buckle Jon!!
It's perfect.
Looks like my kind of hunt!!
No worries about the Deus.. Lol
Do you have the 6inch coil for the CTX?

I have resisted buying the small coil in the interest of learning the Deus as my inland machine. Given the coastal sites I hit with the CTX, I rarely have a need for a small coil. Suspect in would probably do wonders on that site though
 
Last edited:
Well done. I need to learn my CTX better, I am just so comfortable with the Deus that I use it almost every time.
 
Well done. I need to learn my CTX better, I am just so comfortable with the Deus that I use it almost every time.

Don't get me wrong the Deus is a fantastic machine. It's just difficult to learn the sounds of a non minelab after learning on a safari and spending 500 hours swinging the CTX
 
Well done Jon. The buckle is just killer.

Good luck!
 
Great job utilizing the CTX. Vino and I were talking the other day about how the Deus and CTX are a deadly combination. Master that Deus and you'll be a Master Jedi detector(ist)!

Anyway, nice rosette and Buckle, and that handle is definitely a curious piece.
 
Thanks for the ID help outdoor, think you are spot on with the drinking ware handle. While not a perfect fit the form is nearly identical. Looks like I'll need to add another book to my collection

Its a great book. Link to the book on Amazon I got a used one a few months ago because the price for a new one was much higher than it is now. Either New or Used its a good deal.

Like everyone, I have a pile of stuff I cant ID. I like books like this since I'll flip the pages and go "hey, I found one of those"! ha
 
Great job utilizing the CTX. Vino and I were talking the other day about how the Deus and CTX are a deadly combination. Master that Deus and you'll be a Master Jedi detector(ist)!

Anyway, nice rosette and Buckle, and that handle is definitely a curious piece.

Thanks Scrappy, I'm going to try and reconstruct a wooden drinking ware mug utilizing the original handle. Not a bad rainy day project
 
Great ID on the drink ware piece and that period buckle is a fantastic find.

Russ
 
Congratulations again Jon-again the CTX ran circles around the AT Pro (although I imagine the operators had a lot to do with it). The buckle is my favorite with the rosette a close second.
 
Congratulations again Jon-again the CTX ran circles around the AT Pro (although I imagine the operators had a lot to do with it). The buckle is my favorite with the rosette a close second.

Thanks Glenn, back to the research to find the next honey hole
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom