Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Linked up with DnD for a short afternoon hunt after work at his colonial turned British camp. This site is covered in thousands of rose head nails, so there are no "clean" signals to dig. Every potential target is a slight whisper on the CTX or chirp on the Deus among the iron and then its just a matter of getting lucky. While DnD has certainly done a solid job of saving relics through a combination of sifting and swinging, there are a few more surprises left in that dirt. Today my weapon of choice was the CTX, sorry Vino :laughing7: I'll learn that Deus eventually. My favorite dig today was also the 5th 18th century rosette from the site. Love that olive green patina that you just don't get with salt water recoveries.

P2020150.JPG P2020151.JPG

Also heavily masked by iron was this period buckle.

P2020152.JPG P2020153.JPG

The big mystery is this lead alloy item, approximately 3.5 inches in length. ID help is greatly appreciated.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Among the other finds were a large section of lead, pipe stem, and pottery fragments. As always thanks for looking!

P2020149.JPG

Upvote 17

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds! Seeing your lead alloy item gave me an excuse to flip through the "Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia Of the American Revolution" and see if anything jumped out at me. ha I know the stuff DnD and you have dug there fits into that timeframe perfectly. I was thinking it was part to a tool and then on page 104 something caught my eye. Perhaps a handle to a piece of "drinkingware" with a hinged lid? This example in the book says its 4 5/8" high, so proportionally your item fits. It has a hing hole for a lid, appears to be contoured somewhat like a handle, and has an attachment point at the bottom to go into the side of the cup. While not even close to an exact match, the form of yours, fits the function!

IMG_20160202_231344.jpg 3.JPG

Last edited:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! Seeing your lead alloy item gave me an excuse to flip through the "Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia Of the American Revolution" and see if anything jumped out at me. ha I know the stuff DnD and you have dug there fits into that timeframe perfectly. I was thinking it was part to a tool and then on page 104 something caught my eye. Perhaps a handle to a piece of "drinkingware" with a hinged lid? This example in the book says its 4 5/8" high, so proportionally your item fits. It has a hing hole for a lid, appears to be contoured somewhat like a handle, and has an attachment point at the bottom to go into the side of the cup. While not even close to an exact match, the form of yours, fits the function!

View attachment 1268013 View attachment 1268017

You beat me to it. agreed

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that buckle Jon!!
It's perfect.
Looks like my kind of hunt!!
No worries about the Deus.. Lol
Do you have the 6inch coil for the CTX?

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1268013 View attachment 1268017
Thanks for the ID help outdoor, think you are spot on with the drinking ware handle. While not a perfect fit the form is nearly identical. Looks like I'll need to add another book to my collection

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love that buckle Jon!!
It's perfect.
Looks like my kind of hunt!!
No worries about the Deus.. Lol
Do you have the 6inch coil for the CTX?

I have resisted buying the small coil in the interest of learning the Deus as my inland machine. Given the coastal sites I hit with the CTX, I rarely have a need for a small coil. Suspect in would probably do wonders on that site though

Last edited:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done. I need to learn my CTX better, I am just so comfortable with the Deus that I use it almost every time.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done. I need to learn my CTX better, I am just so comfortable with the Deus that I use it almost every time.

Don't get me wrong the Deus is a fantastic machine. It's just difficult to learn the sounds of a non minelab after learning on a safari and spending 500 hours swinging the CTX

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done Jon. The buckle is just killer.

Good luck!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job utilizing the CTX. Vino and I were talking the other day about how the Deus and CTX are a deadly combination. Master that Deus and you'll be a Master Jedi detector(ist)!

Anyway, nice rosette and Buckle, and that handle is definitely a curious piece.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the ID help outdoor, think you are spot on with the drinking ware handle. While not a perfect fit the form is nearly identical. Looks like I'll need to add another book to my collection

Its a great book. Link to the book on Amazon I got a used one a few months ago because the price for a new one was much higher than it is now. Either New or Used its a good deal.

Like everyone, I have a pile of stuff I cant ID. I like books like this since I'll flip the pages and go "hey, I found one of those"! ha

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job utilizing the CTX. Vino and I were talking the other day about how the Deus and CTX are a deadly combination. Master that Deus and you'll be a Master Jedi detector(ist)!

Anyway, nice rosette and Buckle, and that handle is definitely a curious piece.

Thanks Scrappy, I'm going to try and reconstruct a wooden drinking ware mug utilizing the original handle. Not a bad rainy day project

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great ID on the drink ware piece and that period buckle is a fantastic find.

Russ

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations again Jon-again the CTX ran circles around the AT Pro (although I imagine the operators had a lot to do with it). The buckle is my favorite with the rosette a close second.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations again Jon-again the CTX ran circles around the AT Pro (although I imagine the operators had a lot to do with it). The buckle is my favorite with the rosette a close second.

Thanks Glenn, back to the research to find the next honey hole

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions