Colonial Coin, but what?

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
This is the second straight colonial coin I've found with nothing, just blank on both sides...oh, well...any ideas from weight and size in photos? (Thanks to Earthworm, I mean, Earthworks for the photos.)

Attachments

• colonialwhatcoin.jpg
    colonialwhatcoin.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 373
  • colonialwhatcoin2.jpg
    colonialwhatcoin2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 378

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you right certain they are not punch outs from electrical boxes? Look around the edges with a magnifying glass or loupe and see if you can see a couple of rough spits where it was connected to the box. These darn things fool a lot of people. Is it magnetic? Monty

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!. What else did you recover from the spot you found it?

and

2. Have you tried a charcoal rubbing of the coin?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks, guys. These are from colonial sites where other colonial relics are found, and these were dug at about 6 inches. I can't say for sure they are colonial coins, but given the types of sites, seems likely.

Upvote 0

goldgrubber

Jan 26, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites 5900, Minelab Excalibur
Sorry I can't help you out, I have the same problem. I dug one up a couple of years ago. Same size as a large cent, but a little thinner. Made of copper, smooth as a babys butt on both sides. Hope you can find something out.

Upvote 0

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
I found a coin just like that a few years back. I looked really hard an the edges where lettering would be. I found a partial I and a really flat A. I figured it was a Brittanian coin.

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
it looks like a colonial copper to me. its a shame there is no detail left. judging from your location i would think a connecticut, new york or even a british copper coin could be strong possibilties. great find nonetheless phil! nice goin!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread