Colonial Era Axe Head?

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
Found this on an old plantation site. Farmed/wooded up until modern times. This axe head looks like a colonial style. Any Ideas. Plantations in this area go back to early/mid 1700's. Its obviously old iron and weighs about 3 lbs. I can see that it was made by joining two halves. Another more modern head for reference. I found it in the woods near Durham, NC.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,147
  • IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,141
  • IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,090
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 964
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
Thanks all for the input. That was more info than I had. I'm really trying to scout the general area. Our subdivision is built on the site of an old rice plantation. (Not unusal around here.) I haven't been able to find much else to date the immediate area around where I found the Axe head. There is plenty of modern day trash around.

The site is close to a hwy cross roads and has been alternately farmed and forested for ever. So far that's the only identifiable piece of iron I have found. I do enjoy thinking about how it got there. I can't image anybody loosing what I imagine was such a valuable piece of equipment in its day.

The other hunks of iron and spikes I have found nearby haven't helped. I appreciate all the responses, I think I have as much fun prospecting on this website as I do in the field. That site that details the making of French Axe heads was especially interesting. I don't know the age but looking at it that is obviusly how it was put together. I guess its possible it was an old tool even when it got to this country.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread