Springfield Armory 1795 Musket

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Here is two pics of my musket. It is the very first model produced by the US govt and dates to 1795.

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg

Upvote 0

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Neat, any idea on the history it went through? I see it was 'updated' to percussion sometime in it's life, looks like the original lock plate with the hammer replaced for percussion and the pan and frizzen cut away and replaced by the bolsterdrum and nipple. Wonder if it was updated by the US or as a private upgrade. Nice piece of history.

OP
OP
stanjam

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
littleneckhalfshell said:
Neat, any idea on the history it went through? I see it was 'updated' to percussion sometime in it's life, looks like the original lock plate with the hammer replaced for percussion and the pan and frizzen cut away and replaced by the bolsterdrum and nipple. Wonder if it was updated by the US or as a private upgrade. Nice piece of history.

Very observant! It was indeed updated to percussion, as were most of the surviving guns.

The history of the gun is not known. It was given to my father as a reward for some oil burner work he did for someone. The work was done as a favor, as the person could not afford the work, but the owner saw my father admiring his gun collection, and gave the guns and the civil war sword (in another thread) to him. Neither the previous owner nor my father had any idea what they had hold of! I went to STCC as a student, and later taught there (as I do currently) while I attended grad school. I spent some time in the Springfield Armory museum killing time and admiring the guns and history. I then noted how some of the guns looked awful familiar.

I spent a day researching the gun, and found a very distinct stamp. The armory stamp is very unique for the very first year's models, having an arcing "Springfield" label. The writing is hard to make out on the gun but comes out clearly in photographs, it is clearly a 1795 model, which floored me! I couldn't believe my luck! My father and mother at the time were very persistent about "inheritance" issues, and asked me if there was anything I want to make sure is passed on to me. I quickly said "The antique guns!"

I have told him essentially "Don't touch them." He thought about trying to polish or refinish them, but I said no, that this would only decrease its value if it is done by anyone other than the professionals at the museum. Perhaps I will have them do it one day, if I can get clearance. Funny thing, the armory is a national landmark, so it is illegal to bring guns onto the grounds!

I am going to take some better and more detailed pics and send them to the armory for research. When I talked to them about it they were very interested in looking at the piece.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
that is one very beautiful piece of weaponry. :love10: :love10: WOW

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
that is a very nice rifle. springfield armorey is awesome too. the museums curator i believe is james. knows very much about your rifle. and other things concerning artillery. like weapons caches hid during the revolutionary war. if any were to preserve your type of weapon i would definitley want jim to do it hes very very good. kidd

Attachments

• springfield.jpg
    springfield.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,021
OP
OP
stanjam

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I believe I have met him. Spent some time at the armory, since I work at the college there. I have talked with a few of the people there. They want some photos of the item, but I want to get better photos for them to look at. I can not bring the gun to them because that would be illegal! The armory is a college, and is a national park/landmark, so it is illegal to bring guns onto the site, even though it IS an armory!

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
yes i know its illegal to bring in weapons. boy would i like to detect the parade area at the armory . i believe the carpenters local 108 has a school there also. you dont teach there do you?

OP
OP
stanjam

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
No, I teach as an adjunct (currently-hoping for full time) at the college. I teach Network/Computer Security, Operating systems (Linux, Windows), some networking, and some introductory computing topics.

I too would love to hunt the area, and not just the parade grounds. This is also the area where Shay's Rebellion ended, including some messages that never got delivered if I remember it right. Should be some interesting history in the nearby lands as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions