Colonial Era Silver Cufflinks w/design

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I met one of my goals which was to find a pair of silver cufflinks. I have been fortunate to find many pairs of cufflinks over the years and most with a nice design, but none were ever made of silver.

I went to my "Colonial Copper Grand Slam" site yesterday, which back in late 2003 I accomplished a grand slam of finding 4 British halfpence all from a different monarch! A William III, King George I, King George II and a King George III. All within 10 feet of each other and all within 10 minutes. I have the story & photos posted for a few years now under Best Finds. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,102926.0.html

I had planned on digging and sifting a few spots at this small homestead yesterday, but after two small digs, the heat and humidity told me to stop diggin and just metal detect. So I put away the shovel and sifter and started detecting.

This homestead is very small, the iron field hit area is no more than 20x30 feet at best and even then the targets are very scarce. My previous hunts yielded my oldest lock ever found by me and my son got a nice 18th century knee buckle there. GrandSlamsiteAug2009.JPG

Near the edge of the homestead, next to the beginning of a cedar swamp area, I did get a weak but decent, non iron hit and to my delight a beautiful pair of cufflinks were staring up at me! IMG_0012.JPG

I was as not sure if they were silver or pewter, but once I washed them off, I decided to try a bit of baking soda paste on the backside and without a doubt the cufflinks were silver. IMG_0015.JPG cufflinksdirty1.jpg

These cufflinks probably date around later middle period to the late 1700s(1750s-1790)
Colonial Silver Flower Design Cufflinks.jpg

This was the third pair this year with the first pair being the TALLYO ones I found in February.

Don

Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got bored tonight so thought I would look through my cufflink collection to see if I had one similar.

Not really anything like it, but I post my 2 silver ones which were not the normal 'round' type (not oval) with the flower design(which is the same as yours). I have 5 round ones with the flower but no oval :icon_scratch:

Then I realised I don't have any complete sets like yours :notworthy: Must put it on the list :D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,453

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What dose the baking soda do that tells you its silver?? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Great find ! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D :D

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don you ROCK ! :headbang: Those cuff links are beautiful !!! Your undoubtedly the King of digging colonial metal relics and coins !

I particularly like the first photo of the typical unassuming "nah there was never anything there" wooded area. Who would even know that spot was once someones home unless you came along !!

I bow to the King of colonial finds :notworthy:

D. :o

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Congrats on banner. They really look good up there. :thumbsup:

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find Don,congrats. :thumbsup: In the last pic. on the left side back is what looks like could be a date ? I'm seeing something 2.......mabey.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I enjoy seeing the hand engraving on those. Great finds and congratulations.

Regards,
TnMountains

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kieser sousa/rip said:
Cool find Don,congrats. :thumbsup: In the last pic. on the left side back is what looks like could be a date ? I'm seeing something 2.......mabey.

I have been waiting for someone to bring that up, something funky about the left one and yes, I can use my imagination and see "numbers". Won't say what I think, but maybe I should play around with the photos and see if I can bring out something to see... :)

Most likely just irregular marks from when it was made though... But always a nice thought it could be something else. But the other button has not such marks.

Don

Attachments

• silver flower cufflinks2negative.jpg
    silver flower cufflinks2negative.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 2,243

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok now I'm seeing things on the negative pic.Far left looks like a man with a crown......yikes ! :icon_scratch: That is a pretty cool find no doubt. :thumbsup:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Sweet find Don! Congrats on meeting one of your goals.

Jim

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm seeing 1775 but the power of suggestion maybe taking affect.

I hope it does turn out to be a marking. good luck
NJ

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don,

It has been a while since you have posted finds, but you certainly returned with a great one! When I first looked at the photos, I noticed the possible date as well, but i shrugged it off as just a random mark that plays tricks with the mind. My first thought was "1772". When you enlarged it, I could no longer make it out, which makes me think it is, in fact a trick of the eye. Just my opinion, of course.

I am puzzled why I have found more than 100 buttons this year, including a few collar buttons, but have yet to dig even a half of a set. You are the Cuff link King!

Congrats on another "banner" find!

Neil

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Don,

It has been a while since you have posted finds, but you certainly returned with a great one! When I first looked at the photos, I noticed the possible date as well, but i shrugged it off as just a random mark that plays tricks with the mind. My first thought was "1772". When you enlarged it, I could no longer make it out, which makes me think it is, in fact a trick of the eye. Just my opinion, of course.

I am puzzled why I have found more than 100 buttons this year, including a few collar buttons, but have yet to dig even a half of a set. You are the Cuff link King!

Congrats on another "banner" find!

Neil

Neil, exactly what I saw also, and like I said it could be imagination making that number but nice to know that others had the same or close to same imagination :wink:

When I blew up the photo it is harder to make out, which I believe is true of a lot of the hard to read characters on coins and buttons. So here is the negative shot again, reduced in size to 25%......

Don

Attachments

• silver flower cufflinks2negativereduced.jpg
    silver flower cufflinks2negativereduced.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2,048

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely beautiful Don...keep hacking away at that place...there is more to be had!

HH

Rick (Goalrush)

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are cool!

Do you think mine are from a similar era? Well... The ones I used to have? (Sold 'em on ebay a few months ago.... For $5.50.... How bad did I screw up?!)

BSnD2WQBGkKGrHgoOKiwEjlLmDn3YBKEFf-.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread