Colonial Hot Spot!!!! 1802 DB, Gorgeous Shoe Buckle, 12 Buttons

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get back out to the island that I went to last weekend. It's very difficult to find any info on this place which made it more attractive to me. After a canoe trip across the bay I did some more exploring before heading to the area that I found the blow hole button and colonial shoe buckle last weekend. The area I found those in was down at the waters edge so I made a straight line up the hill. Came to a small flat area and bang....pulled out a big old flat button. Good start. Slowed down and started picking target out of the iron. Targets were all 6-10" deep and before I knew it I had dug a pile of big old colonial flat buttons. Then I hit a nice high 80s signal and pulled a gorgeous brass shoe buckle. This is my favorite one yet and it's got a beautiful design on it. This thing is huge and super heavy duty brass. This is the 4th full shoe buckle I've hit and I'm just in love with these things. Love everything about them. The history, the shape, the designs....just something about them. Right before I had to leave I got a strange signal that was masked by iron and dug a beautiful 1802 DB LC at about 10". This is my nicest DB yet....by far. And I had just been thinking, man I hope I can just pull one coin out of here. Always make my hunt feel complete.
It killed me to leave this place knowing I'd barely scratched the surface but I had to. So all in all a great day with 12 buttons, a shoe buckle and the 1802 DB. Some of these buttons are awesome and most have complete shanks. The condition of everything I've found here has been fantastic. I can't wait to get back there.
All the best fellow Tnetters, Abe
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Made a new friend today. This big monstrous toad said he will protect my treasure. Pretty sure he could've kicked my ass :laughing7:
image.jpg

Upvote 35

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't get much better in condition 1802 copper coming out the ground.:icon_thumright:I have never seen a shoe buckle that big!He must have been a big feller.nice stuff

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a great day Abe! I know you're a happy camper having found that cool new site. Nice going on all those huge buttons and the buckle. And that LC is in tip-top shape as well. I'm glad someone else out there is a colonial buckle fanatic like me. I love finding those as much as the coins. BTW - I just wrote a magazine article about colonial buckles that will be coming out sometime next year, and I learned a lot from doing that. So many varieties and styles for sure. Can't wait to see what you find on your next trip to the island. Good luck!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Fantastic condition on your finds!

Islands are really off the beaten track for most people, the lack if modern junk helps you find the old junk lol
Continued success to you!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:notworthy:Holy Smokes! I don't know what I like best.....those beautiful buttons, the incredible dug DB or the huge old buckle. You hit the jackpot in this site. I bet you've even made Vino jealous! We know what The Modest Master has been finding lately, so that's quite the feat, Abe! Congrats to you. Hope it yields more like these.:icon_thumright:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice - that is one killer buckle!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! The DB is a beauty! I also live the shoe buckle & decorative buttons. A lot better than I did today!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome hunt Abe...I believe the DB was the latest thing found!!! And Im not jealous Im happy for you..Ur a good guy and put the time in... (ok maybe a little)..lol..
That button with the lines in I would of thought it was a bar copper undated...
Here's a pic...
George.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140823_210222.png
    ForumRunner_20140823_210222.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 74

silverdollar

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2014
penn valley ca.
Detector(s) used
fisher f4,garrett 350,garret at gold,whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
absolutely great finds,ok im west coast so where abouts on east coast is this hole?????????just gotta know just tell me the state and county hows that????

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
absolutely great finds,ok im west coast so where abouts on east coast is this hole?????????just gotta know just tell me the state and county hows that????
Ha no problem. This is on an island in midcoast Maine. Topsham/brunswick area in Sagadahoc county. I hope you find all of the gold in Cali :-)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome hunt Abe...I believe the DB was the latest thing found!!! And Im not jealous Im happy for you..Ur a good guy and put the time in... (ok maybe a little)..lol.. That button with the lines in I would of thought it was a bar copper undated... Here's a pic... George.
Thanks buddy! Funny you say about the bar copper....it crossed my mind but when you're digging that many buttons your brain thinks every signal will be a button. Surprised me when the DB popped out. I don't mind some buttons when they look like these. Felt good to have a great hunt with lots of great signals. Best part is that there's a lot still there. Maybe our Chain cent is waiting for me :-) I agree about the DB. I wish you all the best as always buddy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone for the nice comments. I normally reply to everyone individually but I'm so damn tired I can barely keep my eyes open. Digging all those deep holes is hard work :-) it was damn hard to leave that place but I had important stuff I had to do. I have a feeling this place could produce something pretty amazing.... We shall see. You guys are awesome and it's so cool to feel like you have a bunch of good friends out there that are happy and supportive with no hidden agenda. Never been much of a computer guy but I'm so thankful that I found this site. I wish you all the best, Abe

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Can't chose my favorite Can't wait to see what you find next HH!

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! Good stuff Ahab. There's a for-sure banner find on that island somewhere. Get back there pronto....please.:skullflag:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Abe! You've got me drooling here. WOW! Your large cent is phenomenal, and the buttons are gorgeous. I would have had to pitch a pup tent and spent the night there.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Abe! You've got me drooling here. WOW! Your large cent is phenomenal, and the buttons are gorgeous. I would have had to pitch a pup tent and spent the night there.
Thanks beez! Killed me to leave. Put it this way....I had an appointment with an antiques dealer at 1 today and told my gf I'd be home before 1 and didn't get home til close to 2. I really didn't want to leave. I hate thinking about the big 1700s American silver that has to spend a few more nights in the ground out there :-) Very sad indeed. I'm wondering with all of the nicely decorated buttons and the nice shoe buckle if these people had some money? Never seen that many ornate buttons come out of one place before. Good luck out there my friend

Last edited:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Dandy of a spot ! Congrats on a great and what had to be a fun hunt ! MaineRelic

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Dandy of a spot ! Congrats on a great and what had to be a fun hunt ! MaineRelic
It was a lot of fun today bud. No modern trash at all and lots of nice targets among the iron. It's also nice knowing your on a site with some serious age to it. Hoping there's some American silver there somewhere

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Ahab, what an awesome hunt you had. I think you are in the glory hole now buddy, keep on hitting that spot and I would be surprised if you didn't bring up some very nice silver out of there.
Like Rick said, that LC is better then good, great find.
ZDD

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Ahab, what an awesome hunt you had. I think you are in the glory hole now buddy, keep on hitting that spot and I would be surprised if you didn't bring up some very nice silver out of there. Like Rick said, that LC is better then good, great find. ZDD
Thanks buddy! This site will keep my attention for awhile...I am dreaming about what could be hiding there :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions