Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Managed to get out and do a bit of swinging over the holiday weekend. No colonial gold to round out the year, but beggars can't be choosers :laughing7: The first site is a go to for Gheenoe78 and I- we've pulled dozens of buttons, round balls, and the occasional Spanish cob. The tides were exceptionally low which allowed for new dirt to be exposed...normally under 2-3 ft of seawater. The first dig was a copper alloy 18th century buckle. While only a fragment, its amazing how well its survived in the surf.

OI000001.jpg OI000002.jpg

Among the other digs were a few flat buttons, musket balls, CW era leather rivet, and a brass trigger (I think).

OI000003.jpg OI000005.jpg OI000006.jpg

Surface finds were free for the picking given the normally hidden shoreline...tons of early pottery, pipe fragments, and blown glass shards. This one in particular still has a inlaid silver ring along the edge.

OI000004.jpg

The big surprise came on Xmas morning while visiting my Grandparents in Richmond. 12 Years ago my Grandfather had lost a 10 foot section of chain behind his house. Knowing I had the CTX, he asked if I could recover it. After about 15 minutes I got the overload signal I expected, and dug a shallow but heavy plug. While it wasn't the chain, I figured as the first dig I might as well take a closer look. To my surprise I recovered a heavy, iron hunk...of cannonball! Spherical in shape, the diameter 5.5 inches, 4 lbs in weight...although I suspect the actual dimensions would be larger given the fragment is not a clean cross section.

OI000007.jpg OI000008.jpg OI000009.jpg

Any additional info/guesses on the iron ID is greatly appreciated and thanks for looking!

Attachments

• OI000001.jpg
    OI000001.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 127
  • OI000002.jpg
    OI000002.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 10

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread