What's new

Colonial stuff and Buckle help

bronco

Full Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
125
Reaction score
49
Golden Thread
0
Any body have any insight into this stuff. May have a colonial site.

The buckle I found today 3.5 inches deep. Regiters 51 on my White's machine.
Could it be silver it's heavy and has a weathered black hugh. Scroll looks like engraving on silverware?

Near Francis Marion and Nathanial Green camp
 
bronco said:
Any body have any insight into this stuff. May have a colonial site.

The buckle I found today 3.5 inches deep. Regiters 51 on my White's machine.
Could it be silver it's heavy and has a weathered black hugh. Scroll looks like engraving on silverware?

Near Francis Marion and Nathanial Green camp

Try that again
 

Attachments

  • Buckle 693 kb.webp
    Buckle 693 kb.webp
    195.9 KB · Views: 322
  • Buckle 552kb.webp
    Buckle 552kb.webp
    77.6 KB · Views: 304
Upvote 0
bronco said:
bronco said:
Any body have any insight into this stuff. May have a colonial site.

The buckle I found today 3.5 inches deep. Regiters 51 on my White's machine.
Could it be silver? it's heavy and has a weathered black hugh. Scroll looks like engraving on silverware?

Near Francis Marion and Nathanial Green camp

Try that again

One more time. Sorry for the large size pics.
2 axe heads, 2 buckles chain links nail swagger stick tip
NO COINS!

This is a highground spot I found in a woodes area. There was an old Privet and a Ligustrum hedge out in the middle of wooded area. I'm wondering if it could be a colonial camp or home site?
 

Attachments

  • All Finds 671kb.webp
    All Finds 671kb.webp
    357.7 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0
all I can tell ya is those hatchets are dang old!!Pre 1860's
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
all I can tell ya is those hatchets are dang old!!Pre 1860's

Amen! Beautiful buckle too! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
The buckle is a very early cast piece with hand cut detail. From what I can see, it looks to be brass or similar alloy. From the shape and size, I'll venture that is a Colonial knee britches buckle. That particular style from my experience, is around 1720's or there about. Some of those early brass alloys are exceptional metal, and can come out looking nearly as splendid as silver.

The smaller hatchet appears to be a "shingler", and should date late 18th century to early 19th century. The larger one appears to be a small axe of the Colonial era.

The "swagger stick" tip is in fact the top or tip to a fancy parasol. The parasol handle was formed of wood, and this tip was pinned to the top. I've personally dug that exact same tip, along with a portion of the wood and the notched brass parasol ring that the struts attached to. My example was found in context with relics of 1780-1840. Parasols can date to earlier Colonial times, yet I believe this type of well stamped design in rolled brass was not commonly seen until the Industrial Revolution was in full swing by the 1820's or later.

CC Hunter
 
Upvote 0
CC Hunter said:
The buckle is a very early cast piece with hand cut detail. From what I can see, it looks to be brass or similar alloy. From the shape and size, I'll venture that is a Colonial knee britches buckle. That particular style from my experience, is around 1720's or there about. Some of those early brass alloys are exceptional metal, and can come out looking nearly as splendid as silver.

The smaller hatchet appears to be a "shingler", and should date late 18th century to early 19th century. The larger one appears to be a small axe of the Colonial era.

The "swagger stick" tip is in fact the top or tip to a fancy parasol. The parasol handle was formed of wood, and this tip was pinned to the top. I've personally dug that exact same tip, along with a portion of the wood and the notched brass parasol ring that the struts attached to. My example was found in context with relics of 1780-1840. Parasols can date to earlier Colonial times, yet I believe this type of well stamped design in rolled brass was not commonly seen until the Industrial Revolution was in full swing by the 1820's or later.

CC Hunter

Nice post! Succinct and lucid.

I concur on the parasol top and knee buckle.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom