Colonial to Civil War - 1803 LC, Bone Tooth Brush, 41 Buttons, and much more!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out twice this weekend to do some more sifting for a total of 12 hours moving and picking through piles of dirt. Its hard work, but as I said in my previous posts, an incredible amount of fun. The first trip this weekend was only 4 hours long and the part of the pit I opened up didn't have all that much compared to today. Today, I spent 8 hours and had one of the best days I've ever had in the field.

I've read articles and seen first hand, just how many targets are masked. Weather it be an audible iron masking or silent iron masking, we walk over much more than we actually find. With the exception of the thimble and CW "O" hat insignia, every one of the metal targets in these pictures were 100% masked. I'll show a picture of the iron that was masking them at the bottom, but its at least a couple hundred square and rose-head nails from today's pit with various other iron bits. The thimble and hat insignia I dug while swinging a few yards from the pit to give my back a break between digging.

Here it is:
41 buttons: 7 Bone, 7 Shell, 2 Black glass (one with an elephant), engraved Dandys, flat buttons, porcelain, lead, pewter and iron buttons!
Two Flint Lock Musket Flints - Some of my favorites
The Bone toothbrush is another favorite. I don't know how I didn't see it sooner, but I almost sifted all my dirt at the end of the day and that turned up
Two Pipe Bowls - A whole pipe bowl has been a goal of mine for a while. I shattered the first one removing the dirt from the pit and was pretty upset with myself. A few hours later a complete one surfaced (much older one too) and I couldn't stop smiling. I glued the one I broke back together.
7 1/2 clay marbles
... and lots more.

IMG_20150913_190106249.jpgIMG_20150913_190114733.jpg

*Check out the slate "pencils" and piece of slate tablet I found in the bottom left of the picture (above). Works just like it did in c. 1850. I have found 11 slate and one soap stone "pencils" in this pit so far. I'm sure the person who practiced their writing and math over 160 years ago, couldn't imagine someone would dig it up, write "T-NET 2015" and share it electronically. ha

This is my 3rd "Surprise LC" from this place. Two were silent masked and one was iron masked with no high tones on any of them. It makes my hunt when one of these surfaces totally unexpected. This is also my 1st draped bust LC that I could get a date off of - 1803. All my other Draped Bust LC's are identifiable, but too toasted to get a date.

IMG_20150913_172136343_HDR.jpgIMG_20150913_172104994_HDR.jpg

These two engraved buttons still have their silver plating. The appear to be a brass composition. The larger dandy one is a cast one piece button. Both still have shanks intact.

IMG_20150913_190012060.jpgIMG_20150913_190040869.jpg

When this "O" turned up I thought it might be a CW insignia... but was unsure because its missing its attachment point. The Howard Crouch CW Artifacts book has what appears to be a similar insignia in it... so I do believe that is what it is!

IMG_20150913_190017893.jpgIMG_20150913_191924515.jpg

I couldn't believe my eyes when a flint showed up in my sifter. I sorta knew what they looked like but this was the first one I saw in person. The very next screen of dirt had a second one. They are really cool relics to me and both are my first flints.

IMG_20150913_190050192.jpg

IMG_20150913_190125981.jpgIMG_20150913_190133355.jpg

This carved bone tooth brush was jaw dropping to me. Previously I had only found pieces of one. Its in great shape and one of my all time favorite relics.

IMG_20150913_190139175.jpgIMG_20150913_190150101.jpg

*Edit: Subterranean ID'ed this piece of bone as part of a "violin bow"... its not a wood planer like I guessed below, but a piece to a violin.*

And then there is this bone tool! Its carved and doesn't appear broken in any places. My very first thought when I saw it was that its a small wood planer for tapering edges... You can still buy planers this small and even smaller. The bottom has a small edge on one side with the underside raised. After the opening, the underside is no longer raised and the edge disappears. If it is a planer, then I am unsure on the blade attachment unless it was just wedged into the opening on the bottom. Open too all ideas\theories on what this might be...
IMG_20150913_181458064_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150913_181519183_HDR.jpgIMG_20150913_181527497.jpg

The rest of it from today. There is a couple hundred pieces of iron in there... mostly nails, but also cauldron pot pieces, scissor handles, knives, hooks, keys, tools... etc. If you find yourself in an area that produces old relics, and you locate an iron patch... dig a test hole! If you see pottery\shell\glass, SIFT! Its hard work, but totally worth it at the right spots. It doesn't matter what coil or machine, or how slow you go in the iron, you are missing some of the best stuff down there.... and its not all metal!
IMG_20150913_181221888.jpg

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 25
Could it be that the 1875 was in the upper layer and slipped down into the digging area and appeared to be part of the original older finds? It kind of throws a wrench into the thinking gears when this happens.

Could be the case. I found a couple other things that I thought were late 1800's on other trips. The date on that IH lets me know they were most likely still there then. At least a lot of the stuff is much earlier though.

I should clarify when I say "pit" I just mean "dump". This is my first time sifting a trash pit and I always imagined that they would dig a hole in the ground and fill it with trash. Turns out, they just had a pile at this place. No hole at all, but probably a dedicated area of the yard that they tossed all the trash. So, this "pit", or rather "pile" is vast and at most 12" deep, but mostly only 8". Meaning, all these targets are in range of a detector, but impossible to "see" because of the iron. Even after I sanitize the dirt by sifting and using a magnet, the detector still null's everywhere you go. I have to keep moving the dirt and detecting it over and over again to try and unmask things like those small flat buttons.

So true, its so much fun you forget how exhausted you are. I went to leave and wondered if I could even make it back to my truck. ha After I posted this, I was too tired to eat and just crashed hard and slept like a rock.

I think that curved thing is another claw, but maybe its a tooth. Its huge!

Right now I'm suing some small hand sifters that I made. I think I put a picture of them in one of my sifting posts from a few weeks ago. I need to modify them and add some legs so I can save my back.

In one site I could do a hammock style of sifter and suspend the corners from the trees, but in most area I'm thinking a breakdown triangular frame where the screen sits on a pretty good slope and high enough where it saves the back as I find that's what wears my body out the quickest is being stooped over for long periods. Been there when the adrenalin wears off and there's nothing left in the body, bring it on if the results are good.

Simply awesome,thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thank you digndeep!

That's some awesome finds.

Thank you RJ55!

Your hunt is mind boggling! I need a few more minutes to take it all in but a major congrats! That's it, I'm going sifting tomorrow!!!

George mailed me some of his fairy dust and clover powder. I sprinkled if over the area last week and went back to harvest the crop yesterday. ha

such cool stuff we miss when we just use a detector, whether its due to iron masking, or the relics simply not being metal, we miss so much, this sifting thing is really peaking my interest and I have just the place in mind to give it a shot!, goodjob, great finds!!

Thanks Chris! I think you mentioned it being hard to get to between crops and ground freezing. I hope you can sift it soon.

I love using a sifter too, but man its some hard work...unless you have two guys, one shoveling and one sifting. Great that you did so well.:thumbsup:

Thank you! I'm still new at the sifting thing. I don't post all my sifting trips since its just more of the same stuff from the first three I posted about. But when its good, its great. There have been days where its just "ok" and you realize how much work it really is. ha

Simply amazed at what you've pulled from there buddy. I have a LOT of early sites I need to start sifting Id say. Knowing how much stuff is masked and how much great early stuff I've found at some of my sites in definitely gonna have to sift. My NE Shilking might be in there lol. Great work buddy

Thanks a ton Abe! You should totally sift those places. I've emptied this place from the easy to find repeatable (and even some non-repeatable) tones. Now I just go and dig iron grunts and hope they turn to a high tone when I open the plug. I had no idea that most of the good stuff here I couldn't even find with a detector. If you find a trash pit\pile at one of your old spots I cant even imagine what you will come out with.

Sweet finds man...love colonial trash pits!

Thanks Dan! Bill has mentioned that if I get into the colonial section it's even better than this! If I sifted a few pipe bowls it would make my week. While there is some random colonial era stuff mixed in to the section I'm working, I am hoping to keep expanding until I find the oldest part. I get really excited when I work into an ash layer since that appears to be where lots of buttons are here. I've dug early 1700's coppers and a cut pistareen only 30 yards from the pit area. So I know there has to be an older section somewhere.

Incredible,, maybe when I retire:icon_thumright:

Thank you Against The Wind!

The original post reflects the reason that I seldom use very much discrimination unless I'm strictly looking for coins in a park.
Patience is the key.

Thank you! I typically max my sensitivity and turn off disc, then dig iron tone and cross my fingers I unmask something good. It works every now and then.

This is an amazing post and a fantastic piece of work. First I've seen of how many targets are actually masked by iron and also how many non-detectable good targets can be found. I'm getting more and more excited about doing some sifting when the weather cools down a bit. Great job brother and hopefully we'll speak this week! :thumbsup:

Thanks Erik! Cant wait to see what you find there. It always amazes me whats masked by iron.

Excellent set of finds!

Hey Brad, were do I start??
You were killing me all day, sending me pics and text. I felt like I was right there with you! Getting all excited with out all the work! Lol
Man you killed it. It could not of happen to a nicer guy, who really appreciates history and takes good care of it!!
You should take a few pucs of your display case from this site.
The best thing I like is the TNET 2015 on the slate.. And the part about if they only knew that with in 5min 20,000 people are going to see there trash!!!! Wow.
Im sure they couldn't comprehend cars let alone Internet..Haha..
Excellent post and write up.
Congrats, I know you will be sore tomorrow. .
George

Thanks a ton George! Those flints where a great way to end a long day. I really couldn't believe I found them. I'm guessing that I get about 95% of the things in the dirt I sift. I have about 60+ buttons from the last 6 sifting trips that were too small and I catch them after they sift through. I have also missed buttons that blend in with the rocks and stuff left behind in the sifter... and I see them when I dump it. So I am really surprised that those flints caught my eye that late in the day. I wonder if I reburied any other flints before.

Here are some cabinet pictures. I built this one just for this one site. I finished it a couple months ago and I'm out of room in it. The iron is just in piles at the bottom now. I am going to build a top case for it and reorganize this winter when its too cold to swing.
IMG_20150914_085006697.jpg
IMG_20150914_085013616.jpg

Man you're killing it in the pits Brad! Just when you think it's getting a little boring or the finds start diminishing, you go and tap the mother lode. And I think you still have a long way to go. Congrats on all the firsts, and hope to see more from you soon. And great post BTW .....

Thanks a ton Bill. I can't remember how many times I've left this place and thought "it can't get better than this hunt" and then it does. I really hope I can find the colonial section of this pit. Had you not told me I should be sifting, I would have never thought to do this. Which lead me to an area of our hobby that is as much fun as detecting. Thank you!

This weekend I got 'show up anytime' permission to my other site for the winter. The owner was telling me they uncovered the cistern by chance when doing patio work a few years ago. They pulled a bayonet and a bunch of complete bottles out. If its accessible, hopefully I can get in there and sift the sludge!

Thanks a ton George! Those flints where a great way to end a long day. I really couldn't believe I found them. I'm guessing that I get about 95% of the things in the dirt I sift. I have about 60+ buttons from the last 6 sifting trips that were too small and I catch them after they sift through. I have also missed buttons that blend in with the rocks and stuff left behind in the sifter... and I see them when I dump it. So I am really surprised that those flints caught my eye that late in the day. I wonder if I reburied any other flints before.

Here are some cabinet pictures. I built this one just for this one site. I finished it a couple months ago and I'm out of room in it. The iron is just in piles at the bottom now. I am going to build a top case for it and reorganize this winter when its too cold to swing.
View attachment 1211066
View attachment 1211065

Flints catch my eye because they look more like glass than natural stuff. I have plenty of Neolithic flints but only one gun flint like yours, so they are a good addition to your displays.

Excellent set of finds!

Flints catch my eye because they look more like glass than natural stuff. I have plenty of Neolithic flints but only one gun flint like yours, so they are a good addition to your displays.

Thank you Cru! I think what I first noticed in the sifter where the napping marks and how smooth the stone looked. Even covered in dirt, I could tell it was man made. I sift while looking at the dirt coming out the bottom scanning for anything that has an inorganic shape to it. Typically I can spot something falling through. I think the napping marks are what made them stick out from the other rocks!

Also, The half bowl in the bottom of my signature picture - I found the rest yesterday, including an impressed makers mark "Davenport". Looks like it was made in 1805 - early 1800's in Longport Staffordshire. Once I finish reconstructing it, I will post a picture on this thread. Pretty awesome to complete a whole piece of pottery from multiple sifting trips.

Thank you Cru! I think what I first noticed in the sifter where the napping marks and how smooth the stone looked. Even covered in dirt, I could tell it was man made. I sift while looking at the dirt coming out the bottom scanning for anything that has an inorganic shape to it. Typically I can spot something falling through. I think the napping marks are what made them stick out from the other rocks!

Also, The half bowl in the bottom of my signature picture - I found the rest yesterday, including an impressed makers mark "Davenport". Looks like it was made in 1805 - early 1800's in Longport Staffordshire. Once I finish reconstructing it, I will post a picture on this thread. Pretty awesome to complete a whole piece of pottery from multiple sifting trips.

The smooth look is what I was hinting at when I said 'glass like'. Most of my flints are black, some brown, but they all now just jump out at me without thinking at all, like the edge of a coin in the dirt before the detector goes over it. What you might find is more of them just jump out now, no time for thinking about napping.:thumbsup:

The smooth look is what I was hinting at when I said 'glass like'. Most of my flints are black, some brown, but they all now just jump out at me without thinking at all, like the edge of a coin in the dirt before the detector goes over it. What you might find is more of them just jump out now, no time for thinking about napping.:thumbsup:

I bet your right! Now that I know what they look like in person, I bet that more will turn up. I'm sure that I've discarded some before. ha I actually almost tossed out the violin bow frog piece because I thought it was just another bone. Lots of bone pieces everywhere and as I was dumping the sifter I thought "wait, this looks carved".

Great bunch of finds I need to go back and read your older post. I started sifting my favorite site last year when didn't get any good signals any more. Only dug a couple hours and found a trash pit but got dark on me so left my shovel and sifter on top of dirt pile and planned on going back in a couple days. That wasn't a good idea, after hunting this site 7 years I was kicked off for leaving my hole open. It was a early 1700s site, I'm still upset about that one. Glad your getting some awesome finds. Can't wait to see what you get next.

Excellent finds AO! I like the LC, but that toothbrush is really a treasure! Congrats on the finds.

I had time this morning to look through some of my pottery and as it turned out, I found the rest to a bowl I've been trying to reconstruct. I have many pottery pieces in different stages of reconstruction, but this is my first one I completed. Its a piece of pearlware made by "Davenport" in Longport, Staffordshire England. I had found the first half pieces in pits throughout the last few weeks. I had them glued back together and they have been in my signature image for a while. After this weekend I finally found the rest and got all the pieces glued back together.

Based on the impressed Davenport stamp, this was made sometime between 1805 and 1830. A great piece of earthenware "trash" from the pit that I will display proudly.

IMG_20150914_123611538.jpg
IMG_20150914_123938683.jpg
IMG_20150914_123956427.jpg

That looks like an AMAZING site! Love the finds!

Great bunch of finds I need to go back and read your older post. I started sifting my favorite site last year when didn't get any good signals any more. Only dug a couple hours and found a trash pit but got dark on me so left my shovel and sifter on top of dirt pile and planned on going back in a couple days. That wasn't a good idea, after hunting this site 7 years I was kicked off for leaving my hole open. It was a early 1700s site, I'm still upset about that one. Glad your getting some awesome finds. Can't wait to see what you get next.

That's a bummer, but an honest mistake. After a 7 year relationship with the property owner, its too bad an apology and correction of the issue didn't smooth it all over. Since its been a while now, perhaps going back to apologize and ask for permission again might get you back in there. Its a pain, but every day I fill it all in and make it look like I was never there.

Excellent finds AO! I like the LC, but that toothbrush is really a treasure! Congrats on the finds.

Thank you Tom! I couldnt believe me eyes when I snatched that toothbrush out of the sifter. Its well made, smooth and has a bit of a curve to it. I was going to google around tonight and see if there is anything necessary to preserve old bone tools. I don't want it to dry out and split or something. Its been in the wet dirt for 160+ years... perhaps some oil or something. I'll have to look that up.

That looks like an AMAZING site! Love the finds!

Thank you Rebel! It's been a ton of fun so far. Hopefully this winter I can find some more.

I wanted to share a quick bone preservation technique I did to the toothbrush. I noticed that after cleaning the dirt off, the toothbrush dried out and the bone looked like it was going to split in a few spots. I was worried that after 150+ years in the wet ground might fall apart or split sitting in my display case. I googled around and found the same solution from many posts in knife forums... mineral oil!

Top, from original post.
Bottom, after mineral oil.
IMG_20150915_064009857.jpg

The posts all said it would darken the bone and it did. They also said if its a newer bone handle to just wipe it down, but if its old and dried out, to soak for 24 hours. I soaked it for about an hour and didn't want it to get any darker so I took it out. It looks a whole lot better than it did before. A lot of the color came out in the bone and the parts that looked dried out, now look smooth.

I have a few bone relics and 1850's era bone handle knifes that I will be doing this too. I wiped it down and shot the bristle holes with my air compressor to get the oil out. No oil seems to be seeping out and it looks like it was absorbed into the bone.

Something to keep in mind for when bone relics turn up in plugs.

What great finds! The gun flints are French. English ones are grey and the French ones are honey or Amber colored.

What great finds! The gun flints are French. English ones are grey and the French ones are honey or Amber colored.

Thank you and awesome info Buck! Thanks a ton for the IDs on those flints. I recently got the Hume book on Colonial Artifacts and after reading your post I decided to see if there were flints in there... sure enough, there is.

Boom... there it is, pale brown and round backs...

IMG_20150915_183128303.jpg

So I flipped one on its side and its spot on to the picture.

IMG_20150915_183235389.jpg

Thanks a ton for that info... not sure I would have tried to look them up as I assumed a gun flint was a gun flint. I never imagined one of these would turn up in a pit, yet alone 2 back to back. I will certainly be keeping my eyes out for these flints now that I know what they look like. Hopefully I have not discarded any of them in past sifts.

I wanted to share a quick bone preservation technique I did to the toothbrush. I noticed that after cleaning the dirt off, the toothbrush dried out and the bone looked like it was going to split in a few spots. I was worried that after 150+ years in the wet ground might fall apart or split sitting in my display case. I googled around and found the same solution from many posts in knife forums... mineral oil!

Top, from original post.
Bottom, after mineral oil.
View attachment 1211480

The posts all said it would darken the bone and it did. They also said if its a newer bone handle to just wipe it down, but if its old and dried out, to soak for 24 hours. I soaked it for about an hour and didn't want it to get any darker so I took it out. It looks a whole lot better than it did before. A lot of the color came out in the bone and the parts that looked dried out, now look smooth.

I have a few bone relics and 1850's era bone handle knifes that I will be doing this too. I wiped it down and shot the bristle holes with my air compressor to get the oil out. No oil seems to be seeping out and it looks like it was absorbed into the bone.

Something to keep in mind for when bone relics turn up in plugs.

Great job Brad on that toothbrush preservation. I've never tried to preserve any artifact fashioned from bone, but if I do I'll know exactly how to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back