diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was surprised to see this come out of the ground. Says Waterbury button Co. on the back. The Midland was the first standard gauge railroad built over the continental divide in Colorado! 1883-1918. Thrilled to find it. I think the ring is gold plated but I hope it is solid. I’m glad it is not copper! I hope you are all out digging. To nice of weather here! 81CE43C6-39AF-4DBB-B989-784B66E6AFCB.jpeg 13DCF83F-622D-4733-9F7B-A364B44082C5.jpeg 0BC89D11-B765-403B-AF5F-D2231D213A62.jpeg

Upvote 24
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great find, my great grandfather was a conductor on the Colorado Midland from 1906- about 1910
That is incredible! I just went to a power point presentation by Mel McFarland mostly about the Midland Railroad. They had to stagger the engines so as not to get poisoned from the smoke in the tunnels. I found a conductor pin up here also. Here is a link! My Grandfather worked for the Rio Grande. One of my fondest memories was watching the last steam train go over Raton Pass together! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/509268-conductor-pin-cleaned-up-finds.html I wish I could track it down to your great grandfather!

tumbleweed35

Greenie
Aug 3, 2018
nwarkansas
Detector(s) used
ace250, etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think at the time my great grandfather worked for the Colorado Midland they were owned by Rio Grande Western. The Colorado Midland was seriously in debt the whole time they existed and had many owners. I have the book Colorado Midland by Morris Cafky which goes into great detail about the history of the CM. They did have a very serious problem with the ventilation in the tunnel I think going in the direction with the uphill grade. That might be a factor in his dying at the age of 59-breathing the coal smoke. In those years my great grandfather worked out of Leadville. His name was Edward Eugene Ecremen and went by Eugene or E.E.Ecremen. Did you know that the Colorado Midland did wildflower excursion trips for a while, I've seen pictures of the train stopped and a lot of people posing for pictures and climbing all over the train. You know there had to be a lot of dropped and lost items during these outings. The key is finding the spots where the train stopped.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think at the time my great grandfather worked for the Colorado Midland they were owned by Rio Grande Western. The Colorado Midland was seriously in debt the whole time they existed and had many owners. I have the book Colorado Midland by Morris Cafky which goes into great detail about the history of the CM. They did have a very serious problem with the ventilation in the tunnel I think going in the direction with the uphill grade. That might be a factor in his dying at the age of 59-breathing the coal smoke. In those years my great grandfather worked out of Leadville. His name was Edward Eugene Ecremen and went by Eugene or E.E.Ecremen. Did you know that the Colorado Midland did wildflower excursion trips for a while, I've seen pictures of the train stopped and a lot of people posing for pictures and climbing all over the train. You know there had to be a lot of dropped and lost items during these outings. The key is finding the spots where the train stopped.
The library in woodland park has a lot of old historic photos of the railroad. Ill keep my eye out for Eugene! That coal smoke was hard to deal with even though they staggered the engines. You can recognize one of the wildflower stopping points just west of Florresant in the road cut. I have stopped but not with my metal detector. Maybe this fall. I enjoy the railroad books I’ll check that one out. I lived in Leadville for a bit. It was quite a feat getting the railroad up there. Railroaders are all good people in my book. If your out this way give me a shout and we will do some detecting!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Awesome finds.Congrats :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread