What's new

Columna or Nothin?

GTK96

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2012
Messages
392
Reaction score
158
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked them up for some of you Florida guys to look at today...came from an old midden, I'm just not 100% sure if I'm looking at what I think I am or not...
Ideas? Comments? Questions?
Thanks guys
 

Attachments

  • image-2004783108.webp
    image-2004783108.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3875836926.webp
    image-3875836926.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3821017503.webp
    image-3821017503.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3929991593.webp
    image-3929991593.webp
    26 KB · Views: 103
  • image-2860943132.webp
    image-2860943132.webp
    25 KB · Views: 108
  • image-238215585.webp
    image-238215585.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
Columnella*


Can you tell I'm not from around here? 😁
 
Yup.. they are broken whelk and conch shells. The center spiral or "columnella" was used for alot of different tools and other objects..but I belive those are just remains of meals.
 
Yup.. they are broken whelk and conch shells. The center spiral or "columnella" was used for alot of different tools and other objects..but I belive those are just remains of meals.

Thanks man, makes deciding whether or not to take them home alot easier
 
This is just a suggestion.. But if I were you I would keep a few examples.. especially ones with some nice patina.
They look good in a display to tell a bit of the story from the site.
 
This is just a suggestion.. But if I were you I would keep a few examples.. especially ones with some nice patina.
They look good in a display to tell a bit of the story from the site.

Actually I think I might...also, totally unrelated, but have you ever visited the Smallwood Store down past Everglade City? I went there today and saw a good variety of Florida artifacts, as well as items from the last 2 centuries...that's probably a little south of your stomping ground, but I found it interesting
 

Attachments

  • image-1187012147.webp
    image-1187012147.webp
    80.9 KB · Views: 106
  • image-766940712.webp
    image-766940712.webp
    41.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1617888993.webp
    image-1617888993.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 102
  • image-4016959708.webp
    image-4016959708.webp
    32 KB · Views: 104
Actually that's only a few of the pictures I took...if anyone's interested ill throw the rest up. If not, thanks for the help!
 
That's real cool..no never been there. That is a good bit south of me..most of my travels take me north.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom