What's new

Combination Hunt.

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The reason I like this site I hunt regularly, it's good for all kinds of hunting. Shot this buck Friday afternoon, and found these rocks and pottery shard earlier that morning, same site. There's a nice finely polished mano with some damage, and nice little graver, or burin, And there is a nice little utilized flake.

DSCN3561.webp

DSCN3562.webp
 
Upvote 0
That Mano looks nice shame it has some damage on the side of it.
 
Nice X2! I have a similar arrangement during Turkey season. Your buck looks like he's been battling...
 
Nice artifacts and I love the way that bucks antlers just go out. What is the inside spread and just looking at his face he is old 4 1/2 to 5 yrs maybe.
 
Nice X2! I have a similar arrangement during Turkey season. Your buck looks like he's been battling...

Yes, he was. There are a serious punctures around and through his ears. There is a similar sized buck on the same property, and he is our next target.
 
Nice artifacts and I love the way that bucks antlers just go out. What is the inside spread and just looking at his face he is old 4 1/2 to 5 yrs maybe.

Thanks!!! The widest spread 23 1/2". He will look good hanging out with these guys in the future.

DSCN1731.webp
 
looks like you might be onto a new HH'ing spot

and oh yeah, you have a nice rack

larson1951
 
Very nice buck (s). Bow or gun?

2 rifle, 2 slug, and 3 bow kills there. The latest was a slig kill. My best place to hunt is close enough to town that they have a slug zone.
 
Holy crap Quito, that was a great day all around. That's a serious buck and a great collection of mounts. I rarely ever see bucks like that down here. There around but I just haven't run across one yet. Oh well, guess that means I have a good excuse to keep on hunting.
 
Don't shoot Rudolf. Till after x-mas guys!!LOL
 
Not a bad Whitetail! :icon_thumleft: A still find myself looking at the ground too much when I'm hunting deer. It always seems that by the time I see the buck, he is going over the next ridge.
 
Not a bad Whitetail! :icon_thumleft: A still find myself looking at the ground too much when I'm hunting deer. It always seems that by the time I see the buck, he is going over the next ridge.

I know what you mean by watching the ground to much....It is hard for me to sit in the tree stand some mornings knowing there are rocks to be found beneath me. Just about every hunt, ends in a hunt because I always have to walk back to my truck... It's just a good thing it's dark out yet when I walk in in the mornings.
 
Quito. Nice wall of bucks. I live in WI but have hunted pheasants in your state 2-3 weeks a year for the past 15 years. The past 2 years two guys out of our group started bow hunting in SD. They have shot or shot at some amazing bucks. I personally have seen more (140 and above class) bucks a year in SD than I have seen in 10 years in WI. Next year 6 to 8 of us will be bow hunting the 2nd and 3rd week of pheasant season.
 
Which county are you hunting, or what town are you guys hunting near. I'm basically just a mile north of I-90 at the first exit with anything to stop for when you hit the state, so you go right by me on your trips.

Too bad you can't bow hunt before the pheasant hunters get going. They are much easier to pattern before they start getting pushed around. BUT, by the 3rd week of bird season, the rut should be heating up.

Oh, and this hunting spot is easy to see from the interstate.:-)

.
 
Last edited:
We are in Hand county. In between Kimball and Miller. We befriended a farmer who lets us hunt on over 5,000 acres. I have been deer hunting in WI for 47 years and have seen maybe 10-15 150 and above class bucks (never shot one I might add). I have seen twice as many in SD the past 15 years.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom