Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm fortunate to have free reign over about 30 acres right in my backyard. Some of it is land owned by our neighborhood and some is owned by an investor who's just sitting on it. It's beautiful - deer, hawks, wild turkey, coyotes.

Through the vintage aerials website and the David Rumsey maps website, I've discovered that there was a mill on this property where there is now a dry lake bed. The mill was built at the latest by 1874, and the house of the mill's owner stood until about 1970. There are several other old, razed home sites on the property.

I've started to piece things together and have made my own map of the area. What was just a bunch of random spots before, is starting to look like a cohesive picture of what the land was like a long time ago. I've already found some pretty old stuff - nothing particularly cool, some hand-forged nails and screws as well as a primitive hammer.

I could sure use somebody who knows what they're doing to come help me pick this land apart. I honestly think it's never been detected at all!

So if you're in the Atlanta area, PM me and let's meet up!

-Dougie

PS - anybody else geek out on stuff like this? Here's the map I've made. The X's mark significant finds I've made.

Fields.png

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish we were closer!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great thread and opportunity for someone in your area looking for a place to hunt. OT but one of my old hunting partners was a Webb. We went to a Federation hunt at Atlantic City in 1986 and he nearly won a new car parked right there on the beach as the grand prize. I think its less painful to have not found one of the 12 car tokens than to be the runner up!

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think its less painful to have not found one of the 12 car tokens than to be the runner up!
Amen. Winner gets a new car, runner-up gets a set of steak knives.

OT but one of my old hunting partners was a Webb.
Our Webb family runs pretty deep over in these parts. First came to east Georgia around 1760! They'd actually moved from Virginia - my 8x grandfather was Thomas Terrance Webb, he came to Virginia from Ireland in 1671. Settled in York County. Ask your friend if any of that is familiar!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.php

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 147

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions