Coming up on one year of detecting...summary

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
December will mark my 1 year anniversary owning a detector. 6 months prior to that was spent researching the hobby. Hope this helps people starting out.

I am fortunate enough to be in a job that takes me to many places. I tried my detecting with my EX2 up in St. Paul Island where i was stationed for a year. I had it one month and tried it twice....too much snow and did'nt know what I was doing.
Back in the states i checked out a few beaches with some clad and a small silver ring. Boy was i excited. ( now i don't even know where it's at). I spent 5 months in Virgina for school for my next job which led me to many Civil war relics. This is where i really started learning the detector. In between that i went to several parks picking up lots of change.
Now with very little time, im detecting an old but active military base when i can and a few parks here and there.

I joined a club but only went to one meeting. (need to work on that) Found the local MDstore and have bought several hundred dollars in accessories. I subscribed to W & E which is great and will get the silver and gold next.

All in all, its been a fun ride. Ive found about $20 - $30 in change, a few wheat pennies and a 1912 quarter. As well as many civil war relics which are posted in that section. I spend time when i can researching things but cant seem to find the next "Good site".
Ive also helped out a few people. Found a wedding band for a couple that just got married and an urn for a Priest at an old church.

If i could just do this for a living I would. Im always thinking about it but never seem to have enough time. Its the only hobby i got up for extra early on weekends just to get an hour in to detect.
Im hoping next year i will find a coin in the 1800's

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are lucky in starting out where you also have the Internet to do your research and different forums to learn from or get something off your chest. You seem to have your head on straight and know it isn't all about the $$$ you find but the thrill of the hunt. Just having the chance to get outdoors when dew is still on the ground or mist coming off the water glistening in the sun makes memories forever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread