"Common Sense" card cheater cuff link

ALAMOTX

Apr 2, 2008
"Common Sense" card cheater cuff link

I found this unique item near a 1878 house.

Is says "Common Sense" and has a patent date of Dec. 29 1885.

This was a popular item in the saloon and for river boat gamblers in the late 1800s.

The alligator clip held the card and the other was a cuff link.
The last picture is the same item which was selling on ebay.
Just wanted to get yall's input on this.

Thanks

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,929
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,585
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 959
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 3,075
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 887
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,074

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: "Common Sense" card cheater cuff link

I dont think its for cards. I think its just to hold the cuff. Common misconception. Ill pull up the patent when I get a chance. They are also in my Sears catalog.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Breezie?Where are you Breezie??? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

bigcypresshunter said:
I dont think its for cards. I think its just to hold the cuff. Common misconception. Ill pull up the patent when I get a chance. They are also in my Sears catalog.
wow i learn something everyday here nice find ALAMOTX :icon_thumleft:
BCH is "right on" with the ID :notworthy:
Here are 2 examples from an 1895 Montgomery Ward Catalog
IMG_7421_2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ALAMOTX

Apr 2, 2008

I have to disagree

On the ebay auction, they said they were used to cheat in poker.

Also why would it say "Common Sense"

ALAMOTX

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe you are being facetious,but if you arent,never,take what anybody says on E-Bay as the truth!!!Most dont know and the rest are trying to dramatize to sell!!!!

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger said:
Maybe you are being facetious,but if you arent,never,take what anybody says on E-Bay as the truth!!!Most dont know and the rest are trying to dramatize to sell!!!!

Agreed. Every ball button is a Zouave's Civil War Button and every piece of round lead a Revolutionary War Musket Ball. ::)

Every sash weight is a lead button.

Every civilian flower button is a Confederate replacement button for a coat.

And the list is Much longer...

That is a very cool find. I've never found one--but now I really want one!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ALAMOTX

Apr 2, 2008

Well guys

There's lots of speculation on whether it was used for card cheating or a cuff holder.

Alot of auctions in the internet list similar devices as card cheating or cuff holders.

I want to thank you guys for your help on this one and whatever it was used for, its still one of my top finds.

Thanks Again! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ALAMOTX said:
Well guys

There's lots of speculation on whether it was used for card cheating or a cuff holder.

Alot of auctions in the internet list similar devices as card cheating or cuff holders.

I want to thank you guys for your help on this one and whatever it was used for, its still one of my top finds.

Thanks Again! :icon_thumright:

Lets use 'common sense' on this one :wink: What would the teeth on that thing do to a card it was holding. Remembering that any little bends or knicks are picked up as cheating, card tampering is easy to spot, so why risk putting teeth marks on your card?

Also would make it fiddling to get out without drawing attention. Those teeth are for grip.

PS. I never trust ebay or the internet unless I have the knowledge to unpick whats true & whats a load of BS.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

although maybe not made for cheating
Dosn't mean they wern't used for it by certain Individules.

The 1883 V Nickel wasn't made for Plating
Gold & being Used as a $5.00 piece. But
some were.

Cool Find with an Intresting History !

Upvote 0

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX

bigcypresshunter said:
I saw this post late last night and bigcypresshunters reply. Seemed like he was preoccupied
so i had to check out my catalog. The examples i posted are later styles than what was found.
I am curious to see what the patent says they were used for beings i have no luck searching
patents. I'll let it up to bigcypresshunter or anyone else here to provide a proof "positive" ID
for you ALAMOTX

good luck diggin !! Mike

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

ALAMOTX said:
I have to disagree

On the ebay auction, they said they were used to cheat in poker.

Also why would it say "Common Sense"

ALAMOTX
Long sleeve shirts are used to cheat in poker as well. That doesnt mean that is its original intended purpose. Ill search for the patent.

Dramatizing the item helps sell it on eBay. Does the brand name "Common Sense" have a special meaning in poker?

Its possible that at some later date when cuff holders were no longer considered srandard dress attire, that someone attempted to use these items to cheat at cards. But I dont believe that was its manufactured intended purpose and Im assuming you had some doubts and that is why you posted it here in "What Is It."

I dont think it would fool anybody either in the late 1800's -TOC because they were sold everywhere. Its a cool find but here at the What Is It forum our main purpose is to properly ID the item. So we will keep researching.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

The bad part about internet is that someone posts something as such and it is copied by another, and before you know it, it is considered fact. Next thing you know they will be sold as Confederate. I like the way this seller clips a Samuel Hart playing card to it.
http://www.tombstoneoutfitters.com/store/antiques.htm
http://www.tombstoneoutfitters.com/store/antiques.htm

cardcheat.jpg

A quick search did not reveal the patent but dont you think that the Montgomery Ward and Sears Roebuck mail order catalogs would have mentioned somewhere in the ads that these were created for playing (cheating) cards? All it says is that for a dollar a dozen they are "very practical." I think we need to look at the original sales ads, not eBay for our references. Thanks for posting the old ad Mike. When I get a chance Ill post the Sears Roebucks version.

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

The fact that "maybe" someone at some time used one of these to conceal a hidden card means nothing. It's a very cool find but I'd bet the farm that if the patent is found there will be no mention of cards and there will be no mention in any old catalogs either. Cheating at cards in the 1800s could get you shot. It's a cuff holder, nothing more. Anybody who believes the inflated Ebay descriptions should stop what you're doing right now and go buy some of these "LOT OF 40 COBS COINS SPANISH PIRATE MARAVEDIS" because as well all know, only real "pirates" owned hammered bronze Spanish coins... And Jesse James threw away all that pesky paper money he stole and only kept the pennies..... :tongue3:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

NHBandit said:
The fact that "maybe" someone at some time used one of these to conceal a hidden card means nothing. It's a very cool find but I'd bet the farm that if the patent is found there will be no mention of cards and there will be no mention in any old catalogs either. Cheating at cards in the 1800s could get you shot. It's a cuff holder, nothing more. Anybody who believes the inflated Ebay descriptions should stop what you're doing right now and go buy some of these "LOT OF 40 COBS COINS SPANISH PIRATE MARAVEDIS" because as well all know, only real "pirates" owned hammered bronze Spanish coins... And Jesse James threw away all that pesky paper money he stole and only kept the pennies..... :tongue3:
I agree with NHBandit. We all like to fantasize about the Old West but this gadget is NOT practical. I can imagine fumbling about trying to release this card from the grip of the notched clamp. . I agree with Kugar, ...and as NHB said, hiding a card with this gadget could get you shot.
cuff adjuster.jpg
Millions of these were sold to hold a gentlemans cuff in place. Ill try later to pull up the patent abstract in its entirety.
cuffwhatsit_004.jpg
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,292231.0.html

cuff adjuster.jpg

Attachments

• cuffwhatsit_001.jpg
    cuffwhatsit_001.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 2,012
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The devices used to cheat at cards I have seen are spring loaded so that the card is pushed out of the cuff into the hand. I agree that the teeth on the clip would mar the card and probably would get a gambler shot in the wild west. I have to say the ebay thing is hype and what you have is a cuff holder. Monty

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
The devices used to cheat at cards I have seen are spring loaded so that the card is pushed out of the cuff into the hand. I agree that the teeth on the clip would mar the card and probably would get a gambler shot in the wild west. I have to say the ebay thing is hype and what you have is a cuff holder. Monty
exactly, high stakes - observant players would notice that in a flash

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread