🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Company on this bale seal

kentuckycornelius

May 14, 2021
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI, I know this is a bale seal, but am trying to researcht he company. Has anyone come across this one before I think it's F.C.B. Found at a 1850s - present homesite in Louisville KY. Thanks,!

bale 1.jpg bale 2.jpg

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could help you. I hate unsolved mysteries. I did some research but to no avail on my part. There were thousands of different companies using those things over the years. Someone on here may be able to help you. Good luck.

Upvote 2

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI, I know this is a bale seal, but am trying to researcht he company. Has anyone come across this one before I think it's F.C.B. Found at a 1850s - present homesite in Louisville KY. Thanks,!

View attachment 2007439 View attachment 2007438
I looked at this for little while yesterday. 3 initial relics are maddening! At least they weren't intertwined...

The best I could come up with is Farmers Credit Bank. There were plenty of them around the US in the 20's and 30's. But I can't determine any reason why a bank would use bale seals. :dontknow:

Upvote 1

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
"The best I could come up with is Farmers Credit Bank. There were plenty of them around the US in the 20's and 30's. But I can't determine any reason why a bank would use bale seals. :dontknow:"

Banks use them now on bags if coins.

Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"The best I could come up with is Farmers Credit Bank. There were plenty of them around the US in the 20's and 30's. But I can't determine any reason why a bank would use bale seals. :dontknow:"

Banks use them now on bags if coins.
I considered that. I suppose it's a possibility.

However, the names on the institutions weren't formatted like that. The bale seal clearly shows "F.C.B Co.".

The bank names were 'Farmers Credit Bank of (INSERT CITY NAME HERE)' and didn't include the word "company".

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's unwise to assume these things are always bale seals in the traditional sense. Sure, most of the older ones are, but they saw wide usage on many farm commodities... seed and grain sacks in particular, as well as on freight consignments, as tamperproof seals on meters (gas, electricity and water) plus a few other uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

Copper John

Greenie
Oct 3, 2021
Hello All,

I'm not trying to hijack...and unfortunately cannot help solve this mystery, but could this item that I cannot id be a bale seal? Thanks and good luck

*The best I can make out is the word Tenth with a wreath around it - maybe
*Found in Central Pa farm/Forge Field and I believe it to be lead

Attachments

• IMG-1374.jpg
    IMG-1374.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-1377.PNG
    IMG-1377.PNG
    573.8 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread