comparing the silver umax to the outlaw

latham

Jan 8, 2018
milford kansas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, tesoro silver umax, tesoro outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was cooped up in the house all weekend due to the deep freeze and decided to break out the outlaw and the trusty silver umax to do some air testing comparisons on discrimination depth loss. As expected, the outlaw gets just a bit more depth all around than the silver umax. About an inch or so depending on the coin. Both machines do not lose much depth between the tab and zinc settings which is good to know. Something I did notice is that when a coin is just beyond range of the outlaw, the signal starts to become spitty and broken before it drops out completely. A coin just beyond the range of the silver does not spit and simply gets fainter before abruptly dropping out. Anyone else notice this with the outlaw? My silver definitely seems to run far more stable and quieter than the outlaw in any set up. I set the outlaw up normally with slight threshhold hum and did a neutral ground balance outside over clean dirt before doing the air tests. I also noticed that running the disc in nickel on the outlaw gains much more depth versus high disc compared to running the silver in nickel versus high disc. my plan was/is to attempt to find super deep silver that cant be heard in higher disc by running the outlaw in nickel and digging it all including the very faint signals. but since those faint signals are often spitty sounding like trash, that idea wont work as well. But I do know that the outlaw will hit most coins around 9" or 10" in nickel so there is that. Sorry for the book writing here LOL. just wondered if anyone else noticed this about the outlaw or has any input.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
want to discover something interesting

take the Silver and switch to all metal

set disc to minimum

check depth on a coin

set disc to max

check depth again on same coin....

the disc setting is still in the circuit even though you are running all metal

I get almost a couple more inches...

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
steve I never heard this before, does this work on any other of the Tesoro circuit boards?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve I never heard this before, does this work on any other of the Tesoro circuit boards?

I did a search back over my old posts, I don't guess I tested it with others. I don't think I have another model of similar features. Others with a Silvermax has duplicated my observation.

I'm guessing it should work on other models where their "all metal" is nothing more than DISC running zero discrimination.

I did find some schematics and the DISC circuitry is still connected to the coil, looks like the DISC knob is affecting the levels somehow. Edit:I should say the DISC knob is still in the circuit even in all metal. It's somehow changing the signals...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread